1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DM31 v's DM33

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Gretz99, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Gretz99

Gretz99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I hope someone can help. I really want to get a Denon DM31...but...alas, since it's been discontinued, I can't track one down anywhere.

Now, I've read some very disappointing reviews on its successor, the DM33...mostly due to Denon bringing the speaker manufacture back "in-house" (where the DM31's speakers (SCM51's) were Mission speakers).

My question is. If I were to buy the DM33 unit, but buy the old SCM51 (Mission) speakers (which ironically I can still get), would it be as good an overall unit as the Dm31 was? In other words is the main unit supposed to be as good or better than its predecessor, or is it also part of the "poor reviews"?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The reviews I've seen have all concentrated on the speakers being the problem rather than the unit itself.

John

3. moochoouk

moochoouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im getting rid of my DM31, but it wont be until at least august the 15th [need to wait for that payday for the new system :)]

if you are willing to wait that long we could come to some sort of deal?

4. benbo

benbo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    You can still buy the DM31 from RS without speakers.

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, why not just buy the SM33 on its own and buy a decent pair of speakers saparately from a manufacturer that knows how to make speakers. If you are looking for great sounding compact speakers then I wouod suggest listening to the following:

B&W DM600 S3: £200
    Epos ELS3: £200
    Arcam Alto: £400

All of these speakers are very small and will absolutely wipe the floor in performance terms compared to the Denon speakers or any of the Mission M3 series.

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Agreed - when I got my D-M35 recently (same as the 33 but with DAB) I gave the new speakers a swerve and instead invested in B&W 600S3's. The sound is nothing short of breathtaking for the money.

8. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yup !

The Epos speakers would be my 1st choice................lovely midrage, very sweet sound, and oh so elegant looking

for something cheaper, and still high quiality

try Accoustic Energy - EVO 1 range

slightly bigger - but full on alloy drive units, and lovely neutral sound.........

9. blair

blair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the older DM30 connected to a pair of Linn Keilidhs.
    The combination sounds great, the Linns sounding better than they ever did when they were connected to my TAG/Rotel AV system. They now sound more open and transparent in a way I didn't think Keilidhs could, but still with the punch and drive that I bought them for.
    The Denon is a tremendous unit for the money and deserves good speakers.

10. swing123

swing123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am shopping in S'pore for a set of micro-hifi in my bedroom. After few trips to the local stores, it seems most commonly available higher end micros in S'pore are Denon and Yamaha. A point to note - Yamaha M170 is only for European region and not available in Asia.

I have discounted DM-35DAB since digital broadcasting is not available here and FM radio still have a long way to be phased out. Not worth the extra dough for DAB.

My choice is now down to DM33 or Yamaha E300. I like DM33 for its smaller size and stylish outlook, with not much different in terms of sound output (well, to me at least).

One store has bundled a few limited sets of DM33 with the Mission speakers previously came with DM31. Well, the speakers have Denon on it but if look at the manufacturer details it said Mission.

The price difference between the 2 is not much:

DM33+Denon speakers = S$630 (approx GBP210)
    DM33+Mission speakers = S$700 (approx GBP233)

Is it a good idea to go for the set with mission speakers despite it was meant for the older DM31 model or should i just stick to the denon manufactured speakers?

A set of Mission M31i speakers cost S$399 (approx GBP133). In Singapore, local dealer do not sell DM33 without the bundled speakers so the option of buying the unit alone and add on separate speakers is out.

Appreciate a quick advice form you expert here, the store guy mentions the limited sets are going like hot cake.

cheers,

Swing