1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DM31 or Budget Separates?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Kart, May 7, 2005.

1. Kart

Kart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, :hiya: I'm anticipating having to buy a music system.

I've seen lots of excellent reviews for the Denon DM31, and I could buy this with SCM51 speakers from Peter Tysons for £215.
    Alternatively, I could go down to Richer sounds and buy a budget amp, Cd player and 2 speakers (maybe looking at the Trade counter open box, or lower priced Cambridge Audio or the Marantz) for not that much more of my precious pennies.

:confused: Do you think I'd notice a better sound with the budget separates or would I be better off buying the all in one Denon micro system?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :thumbsup:

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    If you're after a stylish system which has little upgrade potential then go for the Denon (I have one in the kitchen with Monitor audio B1's - its a cracking little set up), however with separates, you can upgrade without starting from scratch, and to be honest the sound is likely to be a lot better.

Rather than richer sounds, I'd look second hand, marantz and arcam cd players can be had for less than £100, older mid-price amps again are around the £100 mark, and kef/mission/monitor audio etc are available at good prices. Cables included you could have something that blows the denon (and any "new" set up from richers) out of the water.

Best of luck.

3. Kart

Kart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, second hand could be a possibility, I'll have a look in the sales adds and on ebay.

:cool: But, if I did go for the separates from Richer sounds though I've seen the Marantz CD5400 for only £99, which I like the look of as it has CD text, which would be a nice little extra.

4. peter l

peter l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. peter l

peter l

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0