1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Dm31 and B and W p4`s ??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pete1866, Oct 25, 2004.

1. pete1866

pete1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi i am new to all this (all start somewhere!)and have just bought a pair of B and W p4 speakers and am looking for a reasonable cd player that plays cdr`s and cdr/w`s up to 2oo pounds, it is for use in an faily big living room.to play mostly rock and some vocals,would like it to play reasonably loud but not real loud, would the denon dm31 sound okay with them, or would i be better selling the p4`s and buying some mission speakers . any advice would be most appreciated thanks ?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Forget it mate! The DM31 is way too weedy to drive P4's to any level safely. You need an amp with a lot more power. Look around for a second-hand amp with at least 60W RMS. Those P4's are great speakers and deserve better partnering equipment. Don't sell them and settle for some budget Missions either, look around for a good second-hand CD player and amp instead. :)

3. pete1866

pete1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    hi thanks for the reply have taken your advice onboard, can you recommend some cd players and amps thanks

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Have to take issue with the advice you have been given here already, Ive bought 2 Denon Dm31s for friends and have used them in my system, they have about 25-30 Watts of amplication in real power terms this will drive speakers to reasonable levels, even P4s, you could of course do better with higher power amplication but I would assume you could use the P4s just now, just not to headbanging levels. FWIW I have heard the DM31 going very loud in my speakers and showing no sign of strain. I also recall the HFN review of KKs where he used with £10,000 worth of speakers. I think a DM31 + Standmounts + An active subwoofer would make a very good sub £1000 hifi system, as for its CD replay I think you will have to spend upwards up £400 to get a “better” CD player on its own, the nearest rival to this system is the Linn Classik that tells you something about the bargain it is.

To get kit to match the P4s you will have to spend around £600-1000 IMHO up to you but maybe time to think out how much you wish to spend and where your headed before you buy any more kit.

ATB

5. pete1866

pete1866

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the reply cj, bought the p4`s off my brother cheap so thats why i started out with them, i would just like to get going with a decent sound not headbanging just loud enough if the odd occasion requires , thought i might be able to rig it up to my pro logic tv to enhance it , i am restricted to about 250 pounds though and am more bothered about the cd music though what do you think ? thanks