1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon - difference in PQ when upgrading?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kismet110, Mar 28, 2005.

1. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    After waiting for three weeks to unpack and set-up my new Denon 500SD system I finally got around to it Saturday.

After some initial glitches I eventually sat back and excitedly fed in a DVD, The 5th Element SE/DTS.

My first reaction? Dissapointed! Yes, the PQ is good but not that much better (to my eyes at least) than it was on the previous system, a 6 years old Pio DV717 via SCART (Denon is connected to Hitachi 42PD5200 plasma via good-quality component cables).

The sound is great, no problems on that front:thumbsup:

I had intended to use R3 Hero as a test DVD but alas, even though I'd ordered a multi-region system (and invoice from Peter Tyson confirms this) it reports "Disk Error" and an R1 DVD reports "Incorrect Region" so that wasn't possible :(

I remember on here one person wrote the difference in PQ for this upgrade is stunning/breathtaking, so am I missing something? Is this not a good DVD PQ-wise to 'test' the system out on? Have I neglected to do something during set-up? Or am I expecting too much?

The output is set to component on the DVD, same for the plasma input. Tried it with P-Scan set to on and then off (although I don't think this makes that much difference with plasmas anyway?).

I would really appreciate your comments/thoughts on this :lease:

Regards

ALI

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Bump? Anybody?

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To be honest I didn't really see a difference between RGB and component when I upgraded. I do have an excellent picture which is the main thing. I suppose if I went back to watching dvds via RGB I might notice a difference after all this time. I know I can between RGB and composite.

4. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for the response wicket, question was more about upgrading from a 'lesser' system to the Denon, although I take your point about RGB against Component.

Surely there must be lots of Forum users out there who've upgraded to this system? Would love to know your views on PQ improvement!

Thanks again.

ALI

5. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have had three DVD players....an LG one which I thought was great, until I bought a Samsung "supermarket" one which was so much better it made the LG look like VHS. Then the Denon...which while certainly better, is not the same quantam leap I got from the last up grade. However, I do think I have probably reached the limit of my TV :)

6. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for that Conn, is ironic that 'lesser' players gave you more satisfaction come upgrade time!

I guess I'll get a better idea over more regular use in the coming weeks, just not knocked out by the PQ on initial veiwing.

Thanks again

ALI

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My two penny worth, the pq seems to be excellent from where I'm standing. Conns comments about the leap in pq between his LG and Samsung is fairly irrelevant when applied to the Denon - maybe the LG was a duff bit of kit so when he changed to the Samsung the difference was very obvious (No disrespect Conn).

I'm not that up-to-speed regarding Plasma screens but I remember reading somewhere reports that professional calibration makes a marked difference in the picture quality - maybe do a search on that forum?

Regarding multi-region mod, better get on to Peter Tyson (maybe you could get them to send you the multi-region firmware disc and refund the cost of the mod - cheaper for them than collecting it and a saving for you).

Cheers

Nathan

8. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Thanks for the comments Nathan, I too have read about prof calibration, might be worthwhile as after spending quite a lot of money on the Plasma and the Denon a little bit more could be the difference between Ok and excellent.

Phoned Peter Tyson this morning, they were very helpful. Didn't know it was a firmware upgrade via CD/DVD (was thinking to ask but forgot), they've arranged for a courier to collect this unit and replace with a multi-region one tomorrow. I made it clear I just wanted to swap the unit, not the whole thing, as it took hours Saturday to get it all the wires etc. in place!

Thanks again

ALI

9. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I think that's the best option, get a completely new unit.....who knows, maybe there will be an improvement in pq.

Nathan

10. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    No disrespect taken, Nathan :)

Don't take my post wrong...the Denon IS an improvement. I just don't think I could connect anything to my current TV and see any further improvement

Now if I could just find a nice 30" LCD going cheap.... :D

11. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Well, new unit is due to arrive today (got the boy on standby at home to switch units when the courier appears) once wired up will see if I get an improvement in PQ (not holding my breath though ....)

ALI