1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT550SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by seoulchre, Mar 29, 2005.

1. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've a few questions, but please excuse me if they have been asked before.

Speaker stands seem to be widely discussed, but have any new alternatives come available, that may be a little cheaper?

The 550 comes as 5.1 but can be extended to 6.1 with an additional speaker, is this speak another center? And is it worth getting, having only experienced 5.1 any advice here would be good.

And finally, if anyone can recommend a good supplier they have had a possitive experience with I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Speaker stands - not that I have seen/has been mentioned on here.

All the sats are the same (with the exception that the centre is on the horizontal rather than the vertical). Pass judgement on the 6, not tried it myself...perfectly happy with 5.

Peter Tyson all the way. Know what they are talking about, excellent after sales service. :)

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Agree with Conn, Peter Tyson excellent service and if fault occurs with guarantee they pay for collection and re-delivery of unit - very unusual with internet shops.

4. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I bought some silver one from www.maplin.co.uk product code WN41U and they work and look a treat without any modification, the website says out of stock but check your local branch I did and they had some.

Cheers

Pete

PS must concur about PT I got mine from there good service next day delivery before 1pm I think

5. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Got mine from Superfi for 550 quid multiregioned. Picked up from a branch rather than had delivered which is free anyway. Extra speaker is 50 quid and just like front/rear ones and alphason made denon ss30 stands are also 50 quid a pair.

6. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies all, I think I will go with Peter Tyson and maybe the maplin stands.

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had an old amp and two speakers so upgraded the system to a 7.1 system. I only have a few discs that use 6.1 to the best advantage, though the system does have decoders in it to give pseudo 7.1 sound.

I think the system does sound better with the extra speakers, however, I don't think I would personally upgrade unless you already had the amp/speakers available or till more 6.1 discs are available to give true 6.1 sound.

8. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wicket, was it the 500 or the 550 you have? I'm thinking of the 550 as a 6.1 system, which for 50 quid extra seems quite a good deal.

9. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Its more that £50 extra. The difference between the two is more like £150-£200

Wicket has a 500 I believe (not stalking, honest ;) )

10. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Think he means 50 quid for the speaker on top of the 550 price. Surely it works out more expensive to add another amp and speaker, if not the look would not match of the amp. And the 550 has slightly better speaker connections and an active sub.

11. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Matty, your right, I was asking which model Wicket had, I think from the info given it must be the 500. As for the 50 quid extra, this is the common price you can look at for buying the centre rear speaker for a 550 6.1 setup.

So the question stil stands, is the 6.1 setup worth the extra £50, or should I save my cash?

Superfi now charge £580 btw :(