1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT550SD DVD-R problems?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Jai, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hello,

I'm almost certain that i'll buy the denon DHT550SD system (superfi has the cheapest deal at the moment £580), after reading many posts.

But could someone tell me if any owner has had problems playing movies on their own DVD-r discs. As i have heard many times that the more expensive the dvd player the fussier it is to play dvd-r discs.

I'm currently using Datawrite dvd-r (single layer) discs. If there are problems then i don't think the denon is worth buying, might as well go for the seperates route and buy the pioneer dvd575-a and the vsx vsxc502 reciever with kef 1005.2 speakers which come to the same price as the denon system.

Any replies would be grateful. Thanks ;)

2. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I have the system as quoted, and DataWrite classic 'grey' -r (think thay have changed die, ones I have are FujiFilm 03 I think, have a look at Ebuyer reviews if important) single layer DVD's, some play OK but some skip/freeze.

Also purchased some Philips -R DVD's and they play fine. I have a LiteOn DVD writer which does struggle a bit with the DataWrite discs, and to be honest I think you pay for what you get. The DataWrite DVD-r surface I have, have colour patches on them, the philips surface is uniform. Maybe I got a duff batch, seems they are a bit hit and miss on the quality front.

3. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks Bobble,
    I'm using the datawrite classic (which has a purple colour dye), which is cheaper than the ones your using. And so far i've never had a problem with them when playing them on my PC or on my brothers cheap Yamada dvd player (which plays any crap media without any fuss!)
    Since i've got so many movies on the datawrite media. I don't want to take a chance so i'll go for the pioneer dvd player.

4. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think a good idea is to take a few of your disks and try it out on the 550. I use only Ritek branded x4 media burned with pioneer A05.

I tested a film out on the 500 and it worked fine. Although i didn't watch the entire film so not a 100% reliable test.

5. Jai

Jai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i went and bought the pioneer dv-575a (from hyperfi £110). And then returned it the next day!
    Why? Because the picure quality was beaten hands down by my brothers £30 dvd player! And it doesn't play some of my dvd's that have slight imperfections, i could go on and list all the comparisons between the pioneer and the other player but i don't won't bore you. But i will say this, i can't understand what all the magazines were banging on about with this player.