1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT550 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Chem_Eng, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Chem_Eng

Chem_Eng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post on the forum, so please be gentle with me!

I had a DHT550 for Christmas, and it arrived yesterday! My other half bought it for me via the internet from QED, and we knew that it would not arrive in time for Christmas day, but I wasn't overly bothered - just sulked a bit to make her feel sorry for me.

I set it up last night, and it all worked fine out of the box. We have a Sony KV32DX20 32" DVB television - one of the very early ones which has an OnDigital card in the slot - and we had been feeding the audio outputs into the hifi system. This is an Arcam Alpha 5+ CD player, Alpha 5 amp and Kef Q10 speakers on stands either side of the TV. This is a very nice system, although it isn't blessed with bags of bass, and I had been considering adding a subwoofer to the system before deciding to go with the Denon DHT550.

So what are my first impressions?

Well firstly, I couldn't believe how lightly built the Denon amp and DVD player are. The amp weighs about the same as the old Sony DVD player, and the DVD player is weightless by comparison. This was a real surprise.

The image quality from the DVD player is excellent. I have had to use the RGB Scart connection as this was the only connection cable that I had. (Do you think that an s-video lead would be a better option?) Anyway the motion on the screen seemed much smoother than the old player, and the picture was pin sharp with great colours.

The audio system is good when watching a DVD, but not so good when listening to CD's. The system doesn't seem to have very good integration between the sub and the satellites, and the midrange freqencies seem to get lost a bit. When I changed the front left and right speakers for the Kef Q-10s, the sound improved noticably.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the system, but can't help but feel that I might have done better to buy a separates system with larger speakers. Having said that, we couldn't really afford much more than the £550 which the Denon cost.

Jon

2. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You are fine with RGB scart....its the next best thing after component.

How are the 550's speakers mounted? stands, wall brackets?

I presume you have been through the setups tweaking the speaker distances etc etc?