Denon DHT500SD owners

Thor Scart cables are highly rated and are quite cheap on Play.com.

Regarding the Denon, great bit of kit, used in the conservatory with a small 24" widescreen.

Highly recommended, a lot of kit for not too much cash.

Sabre said:
What Hi Fi did a group test this month and declared the Sony DAV-500ZF the best but I hate Sony..

Any comments?

I've read the article too. Not sure what to do now. I can't seem to find the Sony DAV-500ZF anywhere yet on the net??

I think empiredirect are selling it. The only prob i can see with the sony is that it has no digitail inputs according to the review.

Hey guys,

I read somewhere that the RGB scart only outputs for the dvd player, is that true?

Having owned this system now for about 8 months or so, I have a couple of niggles.
Sometimes, when playing a DVD I get a "ghosting" effect on the trailers that normally run before the main film.
Doesn't happen during the film itself, as I say, just on the trailers.
When I say "ghosting" it is more of a jerky effect. Difficult to explain really, but hope that you get the picture.
Anyone else?
Also, after switching from decent seperates to this unit I find the standard speaker system a bit "weedy" in comparison, especially in stereo mode when playing CD's.
Has anybody changed their speakers for something more substantial (I was thinking of purchasing some Missions as I had these before and thought they were terrific but a bit big for the living room). Mission have come out with a nice new Cinema 5.1 set up that look quite nice.

Hi, I have the DHT500SD for over a month now.

Very happy with it except for some crackling / distortion from the Surround L & R speakers whenever I play any Stereo DVD / CD / Analog Radio and switch the surround mode to "Dolby PL". The noise goes away in all other modes i.e. it plays fine in DTS / Dolby PL II / 5 Stereo etc.

Any one else notice this problem? :lease:

tubelight said:
Hi, I have the DHT500SD for over a month now.

Very happy with it except for some crackling / distortion from the Surround L & R speakers whenever I play any Stereo DVD / CD / Analog Radio and switch the surround mode to "Dolby PL". The noise goes away in all other modes i.e. it plays fine in DTS / Dolby PL II / 5 Stereo etc.

Any one else notice this problem? :lease:

Yep I have exactly the same thing.
I just avoid using the "Dolby PL" setting.

I have some totally different old kit and also notice that it crackles a bit in the rear speakers when in Dolby Surround mode when the signal is regular stereo. Isn't this a feature of the encoding as opposed to a feature of this bit kit? I'm interested in knowing, as I'm also weighing up whether to splash out on separates or go with the 500. Does anybody with experience of the fan noise know how it compares with an AVR-1906? That's one of my options at the moment, and need to know if it's worth spending extra for a quiet amplifier.

I have had this system now for one month, and am really happy with it. For a single unit system, it is exceptional. I do have one problem with it though, as it will not recieve any radio stations? I have tried using the antenna's packed with it, but cannot get a signal. My girlfriends cheap stereo picks up a signal, so don't think that is the issue. Anybody else had this problem? Not really going to use the system for radio, so am not too sure whether it is worth sending it back for someone to look at. Is the Denon warranty on site or do you have to ship it off?

Cheers

RupeMart said:
I'm also weighing up whether to splash out on separates or go with the 500.

I have just sold my 500 and gone back to seperates (albeit on a budget).
I bought a TEAC DVD player and matching RECEIVER together with a 5.1 ELAC CINEMA 2 set of speakers.
Hate to say it, but it knocks the Denon into a cocked hat (especially the speakers)
All in all cost me just over £500,00
Expensive lesson has been learnt :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smiffy 2 said:
I have just sold my 500 and gone back to seperates (albeit on a budget).
I bought a TEAC DVD player and matching RECEIVER together with a 5.1 ELAC CINEMA 2 set of speakers.
Hate to say it, but it knocks the Denon into a cocked hat (especially the speakers)
All in all cost me just over £500,00
Expensive lesson has been learnt :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smiffy - where from?

Kevin

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone know if there are any wall brackets available for Denon DHT-500SD speakers??? I am thinking of buying this system but will need to wall mount them. Denon's website only shows floor stands. Thanks.

kevinsmith98 said:
Smiffy - where from?

Kevin

Keven

PM sent.

Purchase, sit back AND ENJOY!!

Rob

Many thanks

couldnt find the DVD player on the site you suggested but i am sure i will find one somewhere

BTW - how early do you get up to be posting replies at that ungodly hour???
Kevin

kevinsmith98 said:
Many thanks

couldnt find the DVD player on the site you suggested but i am sure i will find one somewhere

BTW - how early do you get up to be posting replies at that ungodly hour???
Kevin

Kevin
Hope I haven't had the last one!!
give them a call, they were very helpful when I rang. They may have some more coming into stock. The model number was TEAC DV7-D and they were £53.00 or thereabouts. Well equipped player with progressive scan via component. I was a little concerned over the quality at that price but everywhere else I looked were selling the same player for £139.00 so that put my mind at ease a little. As I say, lovely piece of kit, and matches the receiver perfectly.
As you can see from this reply.......I get up really early!
There is a reason for it, but we won't go into it here!!:suicide: :suicide:
Rob

Mr Eddy said:
Has anyone had any practical advice from Denon re the fan noise.

Yes I have my speakers set to +10 but is there something that can be done. Personally would value a firmware hack that cuts out fan to 55 rather than multiregion.

Anyone been brave enough to open the box and view the fan?

For those that say it is not intrusive, I can hear it 10 feet away.

It's an easy enough job to open the unit and unplug the fan from the main board, no breaking of warrantee stickers, etc. There was no way I was going to put up with the racket and I figured I could always plug the fan back in if it had to send it back under warrantee (bad me)...

The fan only runs when the optical drive is being used and as I mostly use the unit in 'TV' mode I am not too worried - been running okay for 8 months (touch wood). Anyway I don't think the unit really runs any hotter now when the drive is running so I'm not sure why the fan is there in the first place, perhaps designed for the worst ventilated situation possible?

Just ensure the unit has plenty of space for good air flow, and no other 'hotter-than-the-sun' sky boxes nearby...

Hmmm, peace and quiet (between the loud scenes anyway).
ed

Hi all this is my 1st post, on the back of this unit is a small fan looking like 40mm if so these fans can spin at upto 3000 rpm so imagine that fan running at that speed trying to push the air through the small opening.( i have had noise like this on the back of pc cases where the air flow is restricted through the finger guard like this unit albiet my fans were 80mm and 120mm)
Any way i think there is 2 options 1 change the fan for a slower running one or 2 remove the finger guard on the back to allow the air free movement through the case to reduce back pressure and noise, it would be easy to do as the fan is held by the 4 screws and removing the guard with a dremmel would be very easy to do also.
Hope this helps any way.
I may be buying this unit so i will let u know.
Tin

Hi all. I am thinking of buying denon 500sd for my panny pv500. Can anyone tell me the cheapest price currently for denon.

Around 389 quid.

I was going to buy the dht 500sd system and then suddenly noticed the 550sd which has got separate a/v reciever.

I know the dht 500sd is not hdmi player. But what if I buy the 550sd now and buy the hd/hdmi player later on when hd dvd players come into the market?

Is it worth spending extra £130 for 550sd. Will be able to connect 550sd a/v reciever with any other dvd player (like hd/hdmi player). Please help me in this.

I dont want to spend a lot on home cinema system. Does it look a reasonable option to u (i.e., buying 550sd now and hd player later)

Seeing as noone seems to be answering my other thread I thought I'd try the specific 500SD owners thread...

I'm really struggling to get the correct delay settings for the centre and the front L&R speakers :( Now there also seems to be a bit of echo caused by the front and rear speakers not being in synch.

Any tips on the best way to do it? I've measured the position from the speakers to my seated position and tried inputting that but it doesn't work. I just don't seem able to get it to lip-synch.

I'm going from the Denon 500SD straight into my TV via RGB scart (at least until the new HDTV shows up...).

Am I right in thinking that when you input a bigger distance from the speaker that the result is a longer delay on the audio? If I know which way the settings go then I can at least know I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Pete

Got the above problem sorted...

Now I'm having a weird thing where when using Prologic II from my Sky box (through the TV to the Denon) the rear and front R/L speakers make a weird distorted crackling noise quietly?

Any ideas?

Does that mean you have to connect

SKY to TV
Denon to TV

Anyway.

I have an issue with the same denon

I have it connected to SKY+ the following was

1 SCART TV-SKY TV
1 SCART DENON-SKY VCR

When i put the Denon to DVD everything works fine i.e. picture and sound
However, when i put the Denon to TV i get sound but no picture.

As soon as i turn off the Denon i get the picture back on the TV.

Did have a old surround sound previously and the same connections worked great.

HELP PLEASE

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom