Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon DHT500SD owners

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by daveb975, Oct 24, 2004.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Thanks to the advice on this forum, I went and demoed this system yesterday - and bought it straight away.

The performance is excellent, but I have got a couple of questions for existing owners.

Firstly, the drive seems quite fussy about discs, especially with CDs. Everything plays, but the drive spinning noise is very high on some discs, and much quieter on others. I would blame the discs themselves, but they are fine on my Marantz CD player and Denon 2200 DVD player.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Secondly, I noticed a few threads concerning a noticable fan noise that cuts in at volume level 45 and above. Mine does not do this, although I can notice a slight hiss through the speakers in quiet periods of a DVD if I have the volume very loud.

2. Washo

Washo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is yours multi-region????

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I haven't checked, but I had haeard that they were MR out of the box. It wasn't a real priority for me, as this is a 'second' system, and I mainly use R2 DVDs now anyway.

I will check, and let you know.

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've put in a selection of CD's / Burnt CD-R's and have had no problems as yet as to them being rejected - could still happen though?

Regarding fan noise, could you confirm that the rear fan does not kick in when you have the amp set at 45 and above. Only asking as mine and several other owners amp fans always kick in at this volume level and a few of us have commented on it being above average in it's audibility (very noticeable during quiet parts of films). Also wondered if it was linked to the player's firmaware being modified for Multi-Region playback I (as far as I understand they require the firmware mod and do not come multi-region enabled)

One last question, have you found that DVD's play significantly quieter compared to TV input / CD's, requiring the amp volume to be increased?

Thanks for your help

Nathan

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Sorry, I didn't explain the original problem particularly well.

All CDs and DVDs I have tried have been accepted and have played fine, but some cause a lot of noise from the DHT500SD's disc drive where as some play almost silently. All my discs play equally silently on my other DVD and CD players.

I have now heard the fan noise, after playing with the system a bit more. It is definitely noticable in quiet parts of films.

I have not used the Denon for TV yet, but I have noticed that DVDs play somewhat quieter than CDs. I had assumed that it was just the individual discs that I had tried, but I will confirm back again when I have tried a few more.

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My apologies, you explained perfectly well - I just didn't read your post thorougly enough. I still have not experienced this on the Denon but I have had this sort of thing happen in the past on other CD players. I'll try a few more CD's out in the next few days to see if I can get this to happen. If you want you can also let me know a handful of the CD titles that have exhibited this behaviour - I might have them in my collection to enable me to test it out. One point - does this happen on original titles or self burnt CD's only?

Regarding the volume thing - I find I have to drive the Amp at around 49 - 56 when watching DVD's, and about half that for CD's. I guess I've a sizeable room with high ceilings which "swallows" some of the volume. I also find anything under 42 for DVD's makes them extremely quiet (on the verge of in-audible). I Asked Denon and they said it's fine running the amp at that level.

Nathan

7. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Nathan,

It happens on original CD titles, but I think it is more down to the individual copy being slightly unbalanced than anything else - my DHT500 doesn't seem very tolerant of this.

As regards volume, I have the system in my bedroom which is 14'x11' with 12' ceilings, and I seem to be using about the same volume range as you.

8. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't heard any noticable difference with different CD's/DVD's and like most here tend to use a wide range of CD-R and DVD-R's. This has so far proved to be a very quiet drive mechanism for me (sorry ;) ). Also, regarding the fan noise, mine doesn't start to kick in until about 68 and then gets faster at top volume. However, the fan noise is bareley audible, I had to stick my head right up against the unit before I could really notice it. Doesn't come on at all at my normal listening level. (~47)

*edit* Yes it does, kicks in at 45, didn't realise it was only when playing a disc. Not intrusive though imho, maybe I have a higher tolerance!!

Nathanhill69: I'm amazed that you got a response from Denon at all! I emailed them about a month ago to ask if this unit has the 2Mb buffer found in other Denon players but am yet to hear. Use has probably answered this though as I haven't noticed any layer change on this player.

Agree about volume though, a tad quiet until you crank it past the half way mark.

Don't want to hijack your thread here, but could other owners answer a couple of questions for me?

1. Is it possible to use the optical and coaxial inputs on Video2 for 2 seperate sources?

2. What's the "TV" function for (after "Video 2"), there's no audio input on the back marked TV?

TIA, and I humbly hand the thread back to you :clown:

9. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I also would like to know what the TV function is about.

Also, is there any way to have my Sky Digibox video output routed directly through the Denon so when I change the function on the Denon I automatically get the video signal as well as the audio from the Sky box. At present I have the audio phono outs from the Sky box going into the Denon but the SCART video out going into the back of the TV, so when I change the Denons function I get the Sky box audio but have the change the AV input on the TV remote for the video signal. I thought a SCART to three phono lead (video, Audio L&R) from the Sky box to the Denon would do this but had no luck.

Any advice appreciated as it would make the function change a bit more "elegant".

10. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathanhill69: I think you can connect the composite out from the Sky box to the Composite in on either Video1 or Video2 and feed that to the TV via Scart from the Denon.

Doesn't work at all if you're connecting the Denon via Component so I think the video inputs are just routed to the Scart socket instead of being converted.

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As far as I can recall my Panasonic Sky Box doesn't have a composite out socket, just the Scart output. So probably no luck there for me until I upgrade to Sky+.

Thanks anyway

Nathan

12. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its been a while since I had sky, but I'm sure the box I had would output RGB or composite through its scart socket, depending on which you select in the box's setup. Presumably a scart to RCA (or whatever the connector on the denon is) wired for composite would do the trick.

Cheers

Apothis

13. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Your absolutely correct but tried doing just that but no luck. Maybe an e-mail to Denon is required as you'd think this would be a simple task.

Nathan

14. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What email address are you mailing them on? Curious as I have some questions for them but they didn't answer my last email at all. I think I emailed Denon UK.

15. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This is the e-mail I've been using.

denon.consumer.support@denon.co.uk

I e-mailed them yesterday at about 5.00pm and was shocked to receive a response at 9.00am this morning - not bad at all really. Unfortunately I'm really no closer to getting an answer I can understand. Here's the e-mail and response:

"Please could you advise me on the following points.

1. What is the TV function on the DHT500 and how does it work, what
    connections are relevant? There is no mention of the function in the
    instructions and no obvious connections on the rear of the unit.

2. I have tried to connect my Panasonic Sky Digibox using a SCART to
    video phono lead to the Denons composite inputs (Composite selected on
    the Sky box). I imagined this would then automatically route the Sky
    video signal via the Denon when I selected the relevant function. This
    did not happen and wondered wether this is correct. I would very much appreciate your advice on these points.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance."

RESPONSE

Dear Sir

When you use the TV function it uses the scart connection on the 500 to take sound back down the cable to the 500 when using independent scart sockets on the back of the TV.

For what you did on the back where yo connected the sky box up it will have video 1 or 2 you will need to select that input with your current setup.

Best regards,

Product Support

16. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I just have to just highlight how good, in my experience, Denon's customer support has been. I e-mailed a further question to them regarding an e-mail I sent yesterday (see previous posting) and was still un-clear as to the answers they provided. Fifteen minutes later I get a polite and complete answer. I really don't think you can beat that.

See below for their answers, it might help other users.

"Dear Sir

CD’s are louder then DVD’s so having the volume louder for DVD's is normal.

Regarding point 1 what ever the TV is set to that will go down the scart to the 500 and will then go out of the 500’s speakers when set to TV mode.

Regarding point 2 Yes this should work I would double check your scart to RCA lead and double check the audio connections by using a CD/Tape player directly into the audio in under Video 1 or 2. Then if you have any thing that has a composite video out go directly to the video 1 or 2 video in and try that.

Best regards,

Product Support"

17. prezz

prezz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

18. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From my understanding, whatever signal the TV is playing, this will be sent back down the SCART between the TV and Denon and through the DHT 500's speakers.

19. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'From my understanding, whatever signal the TV is playing, this will be sent back down the SCART between the TV and Denon and through the DHT 500's speakers.'

This isnt happening for me, but I'm assuming its because I have a quattro AV switching box between the denon and the TV which is probably not passing the signal back down to the denon.

Apothis

20. Scoobdoog

Scoobdoog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

Just wondering if you would recommend this player for audio cds/radio.

I need to purchase a home cinema system but I have an old audio separate system which I've been thinking about updating.

Is the Denon sound good enough to have just the one and throw out the old separates?

Can you also play a tape deck or record deck through the player?

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Scoobydoog

21. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's a bit of a subjective question. Depends on what you deem as acceptable.

I have mine set up with XBMC on my xbox and stream all my mp3's through it and they sound great, nice and crisp at the top end without being tinny and mid range and bass are nice and defined (for a non-audiophile). CD's also sound just as good. I recently put my mate's Jean Michelle Jarre "Aero" DVD through it and he thought it sounded much better than his top end Sony system.

The unit also has 2 sets of stereo-in, optical in and coaxial in. One set of stereo-in and both digital-ins are on "Video 2" but since you can manually select the input mode between PCM, DTS and Analogue for Video 2 then I reckon you should be able to use all 3 inputs at the same time. Haven't tried it though. There is also a "TV" input which take the audio from the scart socket, so you could hook that up to your STB for telly sound, record player and tape deck on video1 and video2 respectively and your console on the optical in.

This is all "in theory" as, as I said before, I haven't tried it! :blush:

22. rblakeway

rblakeway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought one of these. It is a region2. Is the region hack hardware or can it be done with the remote?

23. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, Denon region hacks are via firmware updates, rather than via remote codes. I havent been able to find one for the 500SD yet, but if anyone does, would be grateful for a post here.

Apothis

24. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. bchohan

bchohan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone to this site multiple times and went back to the URL provided at the bottom of the page by the last poster Snap. Still no clear picture as to where to get the firmware update. I have posted and pm also but nothing yet (sounds impatient doesnt it?). I have a ton of foreign martial arts films that I have been dying to watch on the new denon system and no luck as of yet :(

Any clear concise help would be apreciated, thanks in advance.

26. lumix

lumix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all! :hiya:
    :lesson: that's my first post
    I've just but DHT500SD and I am stunned by its sound quality :smashin:
    It was my first step into higher quality sound equipment as I havent had anything impresive (typical cheap mass products) before. I can't call myself an audiophile but I have to admit that my very sensible ears were impressed.

however, not everything is perfect and unfortunatelly I have to confirm a few downsides of my 500sd which some of you have already experienced:

- it is noisy with some of my CD's
    - the volume for CD is noticably higher than for radio (and dvd I expect, but couldn't check it as my TV will arrive today)
    - fan could work a bit quieter however, it is not at disturbing level

To be honest you can get used to live with it all and my overall rate is very high.

That's from me, if you want to know anything more just give me a shout.

Can anybody tell me wether my 500sd plays DVD-Audio?

thanks in advance!

27. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep,totally agree and after initially thinking fan was a bit noisey have now got used to it - I'm told it's the compromise for having an all-in-one with a fair wattage output - no space for heat sinks I suppose.

Also, CD's are apparently recorded at a different audio levels than DVD's. I really am impressed with it's overall audio and good looks.

Nathan

28. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess they just don't like me then. I emailed them on the address you gave me and asked the same questions on their web form around the date you posted the above. Still not heard a peep from them, not even an acknowlegement. :mad:

29. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Regarding the loud fan issue, here's a tip that may help

Go to setup menu

System setup, then speaker setup (sorry if menu names aren't quite right, but I'm doing this at work)

When you find the menu for the test tone, boost each one up to +10db as it cycles through the 6 speakers.

Voila - you will now find that a volume of about 37-42 will be plenty loud enough, and no fan noise. :)

30. Ams

Ams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently purchased to 500 too and if its any consolation am experiencing exactly the same problems with noise from the DVD/CD player. Its fine with DVDs but hit and miss with (original) CDs. Burn't CDs are even worse. I've tried cleaning the CDs but there's no significant improvement. I'll give denon a bell and see where it gets me.