1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT500SD or Panasonic SC-HT870?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by TDF, Jan 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. TDF

TDF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've got on order a 36" Toshiba TV (the 36Zp46p) and have also ordered the Panasonic SC-HT870 to go with it. As these are on order from Curry's and I'm being told I may have to wait upto 8 weeks for the TV I've had some time to reconsider the Panasonic. I'm after a home theatre system that sounds great with movies but also has loads of punchy bass for music in a room thats 15' x 11'. I'm also a little dissapointed that the Panny does not do PAL prog. scan or have optical inputs. Would I have been better spending an extra £100 on the Denon DHT500SD?

I'd be gratefull for any opinions on the Panasonic vs the Denon.
    Regards,

Terry
    ps. please be gentle as this is my first time here :smashin:

2. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I personally went for the afore mentioned panasonic and am very happy.

Ok it doesn't do pal progressive scan, but you will find that the de-interlacer
    in your panel will be superior.

What i do is connect using component, and set the progressive scan
    on the dvd to 'off'.

The picture is pin sharp.

Good speakers on this one, im happy for my £300.

Hope this helps? :rolleyes:

3. Badgerstuta

Badgerstuta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    TDF, I've just taken delivery of a denon DHT500sd and am v.impressed so far. Good reviews from fellow forum members and a number of best of awards for the denon swung it for me. Also easily upgraded to 6.1 or 7.1 via extra speakers and a power amp so am futureproofed if needs be.
    Only tried a few movies (only got the system yesterday) but was amazed by the quality and depth of sound. My room is of a similar size (16x12) and it filled it no problems at quite low volumes. Am tweaking the system and trying my DTS music discs tonight so will let you know how this goes. Easily multiregioned mine via a firmware update. So far a big thumbs up

4. TDF

TDF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help chaps, I'll think I'll try to compare the two in a store this weekend.

Cheers,

TDF.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Denon by a mile mate, I was blown away at this little things performance at the recent What Hi Fi Show, for the money, it is an absolute bargain!!!