1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT500/ screenplay 4805 hook up problems

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gnc123, Feb 6, 2005.

1. gnc123

gnc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to home cinema and after much research I have opted for a system with the Denon at the heart and a screenplay 4805 projector. I have played a few dvds through the sytem (using the prog scan/ component outputs) and have been very impressed with both the quality of the image and the sound.

I also want the system to play TV (via an ariel socket in the room which is fed from a telewest cable box in another room) and x-box. I am having problems with both of these.

1. TV - I cannot find an input on the back of the denon to take a standard ariel. I hooked up a portable TV via the scart cable and managed to get the sound coming through the speakers, but couldn't get the image to the projector. Can someone please suggest how this is done.

2. X-box - If I feed the xbox into video in 2 on the back of the Denon, I can get the video via the projector but no sound. If I feed it though the scart, I get sound but no image!. Whats the best way to hook up an x-box to the denon for play via a projector???? :lease:

2. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's because there is no tv ariel input the DHT-500. It only has a radio tuner (I don't know of any home cinema receiver with an integrated tv tuner). You have several options -

1) move the sky box into the home theatre room.

2) Run video and audio cables from the sky box to the home theatre room www.tvcables.co.uk have some good quality cables at reasonable prices. Though I wouldn't try this if the cables would need to be over 15m in length.

3) Get a tv tuner box such as this one. Though I don't know if this particular model will work in the uk, similar units should be available here. You can then tune in to the sky box and connect to the dht500 with standard video cables - remember though that by piping the signal through RF your picture quality will suffer.

4) Use a video sender to tranmit the picture from the telewest box to the home theatre room. There is only one video sender that will work with the telewest irda remote controls, it's available from maplin but it's pricey.

The scart on the DHT-500 does not accept video input - it's purely for relaying audio to the unit when you're using it with a tv.

Are you connecting up the xbox audio to audio 2? If you are then you need to make sure that video 2 is set to use the correct input - you can cycle through the audio input types (analog, PCM, DTS, DOLBY - you need to advanced av pack to get a digital audio out from the xbox) used for a specific video input by pressing the "input mode" key. For some reason the auto setting doesn't seem to work on my dht500.

Hope this helps

drbob

3. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The auto setting looks for a digital input and auto matically sees a 5.1 DD or DTS sound. It has to be set to analogue for left/right audio leads.

4. gnc123

gnc123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys - I have worked out the x-box puzzle and Halo 2 is awesome on projector with the Denon providing the sound track.

I will need to decide whether I go for the tv tuner or the digisender to pipe in a TV signal. Does anyone have any strong views

5. butcher

butcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I have a similar set up - for projector read 42" Fujitsu connected via components. (The screen has 1 x Components and 1 x RGB Scart) However I have connected the XBox to Video 2 and I get sound but no picture! I am also having Sky + turn up on Friday - should I connect that via Video 1? What is the best way. Will the Denon then switch both inputs to the Component output ? I am struggling with this!! Help appreciated.

6. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, it will not. The DHT-500 will only do composite video switching. It will not convert a signal to component or rgb. Composite input to video 1 and 2 will be output through the (composite)scart and the composite "monitor" connector. You will only ever get dvd playback through the component out of the DHT500.

More expensive receivers will do component switching and up/down conversion of composite and s-video signals but they cost at least £800+ (without the speakers)