1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT500 or DHT550?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Euan, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Euan

Euan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have decided to upgrade....currently have old Panasonic System....which still sounds OK but doesn't have progressive scan, isn't multi-region etc. etc.

Was wondering if anyone out there has researched the two Denon systems and could give me feedback as to which one to go for (or should I maybe consider Jamo DVR50 Package?) ? Are there any real pro's and con's?

Also not sure if both systems have PAL and NTSC Prog Scan?

Help :lease:

Cheers

Euan

2. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Both Denon systems have PAL & NTSC Prog scan.
    The 500 is a 'one box' DVD player and amp....the 550 2 box so seperate DVD player and amp.
    The 500 has a passive sub and the 550 has an active sub (preferable).
    More optical in/out connectivity on 550.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The review I read in What Hifi Mag said they thought the extra money paid out for the 550 was not justifiable and the 500 was a better buy.

4. Euan

Euan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for info.

Any thoughts about Jamo System?

Also, has anyone experienced both systems - for video and sound comparison?

5. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    ....as the quoted prices in the mag were a difference of £250 but the systems can be bought with only a £150 difference so its up ot you whether thats still a valid argument! ;)

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You could view it that for that £150 you do get an Active sub and an easier upgrade path to 6.1/7.1 set-up in the future (The 500 if you add an active sub AND want an additional rear speaker you have to buy another amp for the rears). Also, the 500 has a fan to cool it down when you play DVDs over a certain volume - maybe the 550 doesn't have this as it's split over the two units?

I've got the 500 myself but I know that I won't go to 6.1/7.1 surround route - if however you were inclined that way then the 550 would probably make more sense and be would be better value than the 500.

Horses for causes really.

Nathan

7. Euan

Euan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More confused than ever.....has been suggested I opt for the seperates route?

Also have Tosh SD9000 DVD which has excellent picture quality, but struggles a bit with some media (films from DVD recorders and from abroad (even though it is multi-region)). Might consider using this....what do you think?

Going to hook it up what ever I decided to use to Hitachi 42PD5300 - any of you tried hooking Denon's up to similar?

Cheers

Euan