1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT 550SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pmjoyce, Oct 21, 2004.

1. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at getting this but I'm struggling to find retailers. The best price I can find is from unbeatable.co.uk here listed as £582.99. Does anyone know of any better prices out there?

2. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - picking mine up this evening. Will set it up over the weekend and let you know any thoughts if interested. I ended up ordering it from Unbeatable.

3. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, hope its good as I have ordered one too, coming on Monday. Was going to order a 770 but spoke to Denon who advised this is the replacement. Checked specs and it seems to be the same apart from slightly smaller and a lot cheaper. Hope I have made a good choice!

4. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For anyone interested got the Denon DHT550SD, very impressed so far. Picture by compononent connection is superb to my eyes, and for the price paid the sound is fantastic, very full with very clear and deep base.

Did you get yours 'pmjoyce' and if so what do you think.

5. pmjoyce

pmjoyce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly did - although I haven't managed to hook it up via component inputs yet (getting new TV next week). I can however, agree wholeheartedly with what you said about the sound. It's truly a revelation even in loud scenes you can still hear the dialogue clearly and some shelf shaking bass.

I'm not disappointed with this purchase.

6. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know anywhere else that sells the dht550?
    I have a solo card but have been told from their sales department at unbeatable that they dont accept this card as payment :(

looks like i might have to settle with the dht500 if i cant find anywhere that stocks them

7. y97rosn

y97rosn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currys stock them; I was in their yesterday evening and I saw the DHT-500SD. I think the in-store price is £499 but I noticed you can get them cheaper on the Currys website (currys.co.uk).
    -Nate

8. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also saw the dht-500 at curry's but they only had the display model left... I'm after the dht-550 which are separates but it looks like i might have to settle for the dht-500 after all :(

9. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Nippy

you could try http://www.avland.co.uk/denon/dht550sd/dht-550sd.htm

They have this listed, it is dearer than unbeatbale howver it is also multi region.

10. Vectac

Vectac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based on Bobbles and PMjoyce's posts I also purchased the Denon 550sd from unbeatable.co.uk (fantastic service by the way - arrived day after order!). First impressions suggest it doesn't seem to suffer from any of the niggles of the old 770sd or 500sd posted by other users in this forum.

Even without having played sufficiently with it to achieve the perfect setup, 'Awesome' is still the only word that comes to mind to describe the 550sd sound and picture quality from a system costing less than £600.

11. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thanx for the link to avland, I've just sent a email to them asking (begging) if they will price match unbeatable's price.

I got my fingers crossed (and legs) ;)

12. kapilcool

kapilcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am also thinking of ordering the Denon DHT550SD. I am a bit confused between DHT500SD and DHT550SD. Can anyone please advise me if it is worth spending 200 GBP more on DHT550SD system?
    I am also windering if i can get a firmware hack disk to make the denon multi region!!

Thanks for your help,
    kapil

13. Nippy_Kangaroo

Nippy_Kangaroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. kapilcool

kapilcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nippy - was this system multi region on qed?

kapil

15. avh

avh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I thought that I'd try the Christmas sales seeing as my hi-fi broke just before Christmas and saw the DHT 500 in Currys and feel in love with the looks; I thought that I'd research on the web before buying (having no knowledge of home cinema). Looking at the Denon site I discovered the 550 and searching on that led me here amongst others. I've been to the links posted above and persevered with google search results through to page 3 (a mighty feat indeed as page 1 usually suffices). Anyway the upshot of it all was that I found the DHT 550 (Multi Region) for £549.95 with free mainland delivery! I’ve not ordered mine yet so I have no idea about the reputation of the site. However I’m going to ring tomorrow and see if it’s in stock, how long until delivery etc. I’ll let you all know how I get on. The link for those that are interested is http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2139
    Cheers,
    Andy

16. avh

avh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry me again I was wondering if someone could tell me whether the DVD player can play VCD's? It's not listed in the specs (UK), but I've seen it listed on some foreign sites. I was wondering if the multi region hack also unlocked this feature? I’ve mailed the company that I mentioned above so I’ll post any news that I get too.

Regards,
    Andy

17. avh

avh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a quick update the 550 does play VCD's :)