1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT-550SD easy question? New Member

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by happyjolly, Jan 19, 2005.

1. happyjolly

happyjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody!

I have just made my first major Home Cinema/Plasma purchase and have a quick question about the Denon.

I've had it up and running most of the evening (about 6 hrs) and just come to turn it off, I've noticed the AV reciever is really hot by the vents. Just about bearable to place my hand on, I would like to know if this is normal for AV recievers or should I be worried? Its on my carpet floor at the mo while I get a rack to put all the kit on, nothing was placed on top of it and plenty of room for air flow etc.

Also, I have (long story short) a tv tuner box which is plugged into the 550 via s-video and composite? audio? (the phono red and white ones) I can watch TV and listen to sound ok, however when I change to DVD and play I can still hear the TV sound AND the DVD sound at the sametime? Any ideas why??

incase anyone is interested... here's whats I got...
    NEC 42XR3, Denon DHT-550, Panasonic DMRE95HEBSM.

Thanks for looking and if anyone is thinking about getting any of the above, or indeed any comments (good purchases???) i'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Happy!

First of all, the reciever is digital, and shouldn't get too hot. However it is necessary to ensure good ventilation around the unit. You seem to have provided plenty, but it might be wise to lift it off the carpet. Look underneath - are there vent slots?

Does the tuner box not have RGB scart inputs or Component inputs? These would be preferable to the S-Video and composite RCA's.

I take it you are hearing whatever channel the TV is recieving on top of the DVD sound. This is because the Audio is continually feeding the Denon through the RCA phono connections. Strange. The TV should be backfeeding the DVD sound...

OR do you mean you are hearing the DVD sound through the TV's speakers? If so, turn the TV volume down. This is quite normal.

More info please.

Jimmy

3. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Definatly need to get it off the carpet, even if there are no vents it is not going to help.

4. happyjolly

happyjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimsan and Conn thanks for posting....

Ok the AV reciever is actually on top of the Denon DVD player, (i assume thats fine, its the same as all the pictures I've seen on the net) Can't confirm right now if there are vent slots underneath however with it being on top of the DVD player there would be a small clearance between them. Sorry for not making this more clear last post

The tuner box only has S-Video and component out with a standard coaxial lead in (i still use analog cable!) So I use a set of the inputs on the AV for the s-video and phono audio.

The plasma has two component inputs, Phono? connection and BNC (there are 5 BNCs I assume the H and V are just for hooking up Computer input) Can I use just 3 BNC for my tuner instead??

Link to Tuner I have:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=117445

I dont have "native" speakers for the plasma, all sound will have to come through the 550 AVR. Yes I can hear whatever channel the Tuner is on and the DVD audio. If I switch off the Tuner sound is as it should be.

The only thing I can think of was when I was watching TV I thought the sound was pretty low, I switched to DVD mode and it was quiet also, whilst in DVD mode I remembered I hadn't turned on the SUB - Muppet.. when I switched that on I then got the "mix" of TV and DVD i.e... the DVD sound was ok until i turned on the SUB. I'm using composite for the DVD player too, I just rang Denon (based on what you said about the heat) and they said use the optical cable instead which I will do however this shouldn't be happening anyway should it??!?!? What if I want to connect something else? (They said heat is fine it will auto shut off if too hot - hmm.. sounds slightly dodgy to me !)

Anyway I powered everything off and its still doing it, I'll reset the system to defaults and connect optical cable and see if that works or if anyone has other theories??

Apologies for length and if i'm not making myself clear. I can do a list of whats to what if nessessary.

Last thing.... the manual says the AVR wont process RGB scart and you need some connectors, can anyone confirm? as you can see I have already :rtfm:

Cheers People :hiya:

5. happyjolly

happyjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon Guys, can anyone help?

6. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My 550 Amp also gets very hot to the touch on top of the vents, never let it worry me. As there is no fan and the amplifier is so small it is bound to get reasonably hot.

Have mine ontop of the DVD player with plenty of ventilation.

7. happyjolly

happyjolly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers!

i sort out all the problems, cabling problem! the denon still gets too hot in my opinion, but its on all the time i watch tv so i'll leve it at that!

Thanks again to the people who responded for the time spent.

:thumbsup: