Denon DHT-550 with Tannoy EFX5.1 Speakers

B

billym

I recently ordered the Denon DHT-550SD all in one system from Peter Tyson but got a call today to day that Denon were completely out of stock of the speakers that ordinarily came with the SD package (none enywhere in Europe evidently).

They have offered me the DHT-550SD DVD player and AVR-550SD surround receiver package but with the Tannoy EFX5.1 speakers as an alternative to the Denon ones. Price for the complete package is £500.

I'd appreciate any views on this - the reviews of the EFX5.1 speakers seem pretty good and the guy at Peter Tyson reckoned that these were better speakers than the Denon ones anyway

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, er i mean listening. They could be write but unless you compare the 2 speaker packages side by side you may never know.

Have you checked the specs of the tannoys to see if they can go with the 550?

Apparently the SYS-550 speakers aren't even being made anymore, can't believe it I was just about to order :(

I'm looking at getting the 550SD aswell but don't like the look of the Tannoy speakers. I have seen the Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere speaker package but I'm not sure if it is any good and if is suited to the 550SD. Has anyone heard the MS speakers and do they sound any good?

Thanks for you help.

mekonj

The Mordaunt Shorts are fine, and are better than the speakers that come as standard by some considerable margin. I would suggest the Premier plus, a better sub makes all the difference.

i don't know about not being made mine where ordered my system last week should have then end of the week or next. getting shipped from germany direct from denon i got told.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom