1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT 500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by meadow man, Jan 26, 2005.

1. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a complete novice, I recently installed and set up a Denon DHT 500SD all in one. When playing a video, the sound does not come through the surround speakers, only the TV speakers. Can anybody suggest a solution? Everything else works perfectly. Could there be a setting I have missed? I'm concerned that there is a fault with the unit.

Regards

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There are two methods of connection.

You can simply select tv on the 500 and it should draw the sound down from the tv. For some reason this doesn't work on my set up.

Instead I have phono cables from the tv running to the Denon's Video 1 input, this supplies sound from anything connected to the tv.

3. zmoosa1

zmoosa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    meadow man - Try using the function button on the remote until 'TV' is diplayed on the receiver. I have my Denon connected via Scart and this does draw the sound from the TV, no phono cables needed.

Regards

4. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have the 'TV' mode selected when playing back the video, but no sound through the amp/surround sound. The sound works perfectly on DVD and TV, only when playing a video. I only get sound through the TV. Strange!

Regards,

5. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Can you not connect the video using phono leads between the Denon and the VCR and if this is how you have got it arranged have you selected analogue as that fuctions input on the Denon?

These are just possibilities off the top of my head.

Nathan

6. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Do you have the vcr connected to the tv via a scart cable?

7. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zmooza1.....I could try that.

Regards,

8. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We tried audio input into VCR1 and VCR2 from both the TV and VCR audio outputs via phono cables, with no audio output from the Denon (selecting VCR1 and 2 respectfully). The Denon only accepts audio in via a scart, which is connected straight into the TV stcart. I know I said I was a novice, but I have help here from our telecomms guru "McTroozers" who helped try and set it up. The feeling is that the Denon may be faulty, unless there is an unknown set up procedure we have missed.

9. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    When you had the VCR connected via the phono lead into Video 1 or 2 you did also select "analogue" as the input on the relevant Denon function? Also, have you got any other source you could test like a Sky Digibox or games console or another VCR?

I'm sorry that I'm repeating myself but I understand how irritating these things are and sometimes it can be the most simple things, a faulty Denon, faulty leads or faulty VCR.

Good luck

10. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathanhill69........We tried the "audio out" from the TV. Can this be considered another source? Also, how do you check or set the analogue function on any of the Denon inputs?

Regards,

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Firstly, apologies if I'm going over something you understand but it's all in the name of trying to help.

On each function, Video 1, Video 2, DVD, TV etc. you are able to select (to a greater or lesser degree) the type of Input that it is receiving (look on the remote control for the "Input mode" button). Say for example you have plugged the VHS phono outs into Video 1 on the Denon, select the Video 1 Function on the Denon, now on the remote press the "Input Mode" button to select ANALOGUE as that's the type of signal your VHS is sending to the Denon. If it was set to DIGITAL then you're Denon won't play back the VHS audio.

Bit of a rubbish explanation but when you check out the remote it will all become clear.

12. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathanhill69......I don't understand, believe me!! A work colleague helped me set it up. He knows a bit about it, but were stumped with this one. I will try your option first opportunity -I'm away from home right now, but look forward to getting back to give it a go.

Thanks,

13. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nathanhill69......I don't understand, believe me!! A work colleague helped me set it up. He knows a bit about it, but we were kinda stumped with this one. I will try your option first opportunity. I'm away from home right now, but look forward to getting back to give it a go.

Thanks,

14. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    On the remote above the slide switchs, make sure both are to the left, press the input mode button to change to analogue.

15. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new as well to this game but is there not an issue if you dont have a fully wired scart then you might not get sound in one direction?

16. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everybody for your help. I managed to suss it out using the remote using the input button!

Cheers.

17. meadow man

meadow man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everybody for your help. I sussed it out on the remote by fiddling with the input button right enough!

Cheers.