Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

denon dht 500sd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by pekay, Nov 16, 2004.

1. pekay

pekay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello folks, first post.
    just wondering, i recently bought and set up the above system to replace my 3 yr old sony davs 300, (well impressed up to now), would it be possible to use one or two of the satelite speakers off the sony as rear surround speakers connected to the denon from the extra speaker outputs so that i can utilise 6.1 or 7.1 and the dts neo facilities of the denon.( tight fisted old git really, and i dont want to shell out if i can get away with this option) opinions greatly received.

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Don't know how the speakers would "balance" with the others but more importantly, don't you require additional amplification for the rear speakers when using 6.1 or 7.1 from the DHT500SD?

3. pekay

pekay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i dont know,do i need an extra amp? thats why i asked if i could set up the system this way,what amp would you recommend if this is the case,thanx for replying so soon by the way.

4. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you add an active sub, you can use the spare speaker outputs on the Denon to go to run an extra speaker for 6.1 (changing the speaker outs from sub to rears in the setup menu). But if you want 7.1, you'll need to use the rear surround pre-outs, and add a 2 channel amp to get both rears in use. Of course, by doing that, you can still use the passive sub that comes with the system.

HTH

Apothis

5. pekay

pekay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cheers, not really bothered about an active sub, was just wondering re the rear surrounds, can u suggest any amps or speakers? would the speakers from the sony system suffice?
    thanx for taking the time to reply

6. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I made the same upgrade, but from the DAVS-550.

Don't the Sony speakers usually have distinctive end connectors that won't fit anything else ? I don't know whether they would work if you just cut those connectors off.

7. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm considering a similar upgrade (I've a DAVS550 too). Is it worth it? Oh - and does the denon have set of component inputs - I'd like to use it as a "pass through" for my xbox high-def. kit.

ZedZed

8. drbob

drbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The DHT500SD only has composite pass through (two inputs), the next model up the DHT550SD has component pass through/switching (three inputs, though one of these is used for the separate dvd player included with this system).

regards,

drbob

9. pekay

pekay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok, youv,e all gone off on a tangent now, back to my original question,what amp(if any) do i need?, how do i connect it? how much? and will the speakers off the sony work, yes or no?. i know the sony speakers have unique connecters but if these are lopped off and trimmed its only the same as putting the bare wires in as on the denon surely, i just wondered if they were compatible so i wouldn,t have to shell out extra.
    once again, many thanx.