1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT-500SD vs Sony DAV-SC8

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Spiny, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Spiny

Spiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Help me spend my money!

I've always liked denon but the sony has an active sub. Any opinions?

Cheers
    S

2. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just bought a Denon - really well impressed, it's a real step up from the Sony DAV-S550 I had previously. Picture quality is superb, particularly in progressive scan mode.

Sony is an older model, which I think is almost due for replacement. I considered it, but a search on here identified a few problems with it, and my Sony died the death.

The Denon can be upgraded with both an active sub and a centre rear speaker, as well.

Hope this helps

DT

3. Spiny

Spiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that. I didn't know you could upgrage to an active sub. Thought that the package wasn't changeable.

Just gotta decide now if the 500SD is fine for me or if I can justify the extra for the 770SD... :hiya:

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah - dunno how much the sub is, but the manual tells you how to set it up and everything.

Centre rear speaker is about £45.

Mine cost £437, but you may find it cheaper - a lot of places were out of stock, after the What Hi-Fi review I guess.

Cheapest I've seen the DSC-8 is about the same. I couldn't find the 770 any cheaper than £750 or so, which was a bit more than I was wanting to spend.

5. bobble

bobble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DT, currently have DAV-S550 myself and was thinking of buying the Denon 770 kit until this came out, I dont have a realy big room so not to bothered about active sub, however do you get plenty of speaker cable with this, and do you find the rear channels to be a lot better than the S550 always thought they are a bit weak.

Also have you used the headphone socket, if so do you get suround modes through the phones??

Thanks in advace.

6. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Output from the rear speakers seems fine, you can alter the settings to increase it depending on the room size.

Speaker cable - I'd say that the cable is about 7-8m long, and mine was about at the end of its range. However, the cable is just springclipped in place at both ends, so you could replace it with any standard cable you like - I might replace mine with some QED stuff if I feel the need.

Dunno bout the headphones, though I would imagine that surround sound depends more on the nature of the 'phones themselves.

HTH

DT

7. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    you don't need an active sub on this system, the passive sub does an excellent job on its own, any more would be overkill. I guess that's why denon didn't include one but left it as an option to satisfy everyone, just in case.