1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT 500SD Video outputs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Gadget Daddy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Hi,

Im new to all this kit and interconnects and are seeking to improve my freeview experience through the purchase of the above system and a LG RZ42px11 Plasma, both of which I have.

I bought a QED PCV1 Component cable thinking it would pipe all the video out through that cable but it appears that it will only display the DVD player....is this really the case???, I also tried by plugging an SVIDEO into it aswell but didnt get a video output to the TV this aswell produced nothing????? how queer..??? the only output which appears to display video is the scart socket..again is this the case or am I missing the obvious??, the only setting I can see is the DVD menu changing from SCART to COMPONENT, Im a bit fekked off as the cable was nearly £30 and I dont tend to watch DVDs mainly freeview as its a PVR aswell and I watch/play stuff through my modded XBox, Im reluctant to pay £20 - £30 for a decent cable again till I know what my really options are with the Denon.

Any help greatly received

Cheers
    Pete :(

2. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The 500 has a switchable outlet, Scart, S-video and component within the set up menu.
    Why not feed the PVR to the plasma via RGB scart and the Denon via the component ?
    I have looped the Denon thru the PVR to the RGB scart on the telly and all works well, I do not have component on the small telly. Try and compare the quality and you may find RGB good enough.

3. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    thanks for the reply Ged, are you saying that I should be able to output all Video inputs into the Denon via the Component output connection as that would be ideal, I cannot for the life of me see where I can change the output of the inputs if that makes sense, only the DVD player from Scart to Component.

The menus Im talking about I have accessed via pressing "setup" on the remote

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You would not want to input video signals to the Denon, only audio, I link the PVR to the Denon for audio by a digital connection but if you daisy chain the Denon through the PVR via scart you can use the TV function for audio.
    Treat the Denon as a sound system rarther than a video switcher (except for the DVD!)

5. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    I appreciate what your saying Ged, but isnt it suppose to deal with video aswell,
    thats the main gist of my thread how to get it to output through the component
    or svhs anything other than the scart from "Video 1" or "Video 2"

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    As far as I can remember it only outputs DVD video images, you have the choice of using the Scart, S-Video socket or Component (Interlaced or Progressive).
    You can only connect audio inputs for Video 1 & 2 and TV which is the audio within the scart output from your telly.
    More expensive Amps have up processing of lower grade signals like S-video to component, though this is of little use to you.

7. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Just had a look in the manual, you can connect composite video, this will probably only go out as low grade composite, either through scart or the yellow phono.
    I really do think you should use component for the Denon and RGB scart for the PVR, connecting a digital lead for audio if you want to, though I have done this and there doesn't seem to be any difference.

8. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As you state the Denon can take composite video in and output it via the scart connection. Personally I would not bother with any composite picture. Can you not just connect your pvr direct to your tv via RGB scart and the Denon via component, thereby getting the best possible pictures from both sources. Then use phono leads from your tv to the Denon to enjoy surround sound from anything connected to your tv.

9. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    That seems to make sense wicket, thanks for the advice

Pete