1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT-500SD Surround NEO 6 options

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Flystar, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have had my Denon 500SD for a couple of weeks now and have linked it to my Viera TH42PE30 via decent interconnects (Van Damme/Neutrik Performance leads) from the TV audio out so as to be able to listen to Cable broadcasts in surround sound. I have my NTL set top box RGB scarted through to the TV and the Denon set to receive analog signal via the interconnects.

I notice flicking through the various surround modes on the Denon that NEO-6 Music/Cinema modes to me sound better than the Dolby PL II Music/Cinema modes quite significantly when listening to MTV NTL broadcasts etc. However, although independent sounds seem to becoming from each speaker I am worried that as I have not got a rear centre surround that I may be losing some signals. Will NEO 6 process and distribute the sound correctly through my Denon's 5 speaker set up or should I be sticking with Dolby PL II?

Cheers

Fly

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Excuse me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I thought that Dolby PL II would only "simulate" 5.1 surround sound from a Dolby Digital signal (like the 2.1 signal). If this is correct then the analogue signal from your TV receiver is not the correct signal for either PL II or Neo to do the job you want and will never sound like surround sound. Also isn't Neo 6 designed if you have the extra rear speaker installed? Personally, I listen to my Sky box using the 5 Channel Stereo mode which, for my money, sounds good.

Apart from Sky+, which transmits some of its movies in 5.1 and has an audio optical out on the back of the box, none of the TV stations transmit a Dolby Digital signal.

Would welcome being corrected if I'm completely in-correct.

Nathan

3. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers. Could be wrong but I was under the impression that Dolby PLII will take analogue stereo inputs and process them as dolby PLI but with better separation. There is difinitely separate sounds coming from rear surrounds compared to fronts and centre, that is for sure.

NEO 6 is suppose to have a sixth channel but I thought the Denon might be clever enough to know that one wasn't connected.

When I set Dolby PLI I get some distortion on occasions from the rears which does not happen with dolby PLII set. Any ideas why this would occur?

Thanks

Fly

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmmmm. Not so convinced on my previous posting as the information I have since read on various web-sites is un-clear.

My experience is Dolby PL II doesn't do that great a job from two channel audio from the TV - not bad though for DVD encoded in Dolby Digital.

This link might be useful

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/76026

Actually now my head hurts and I'm fairly confused - anyone got a more definitive answer?

5. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting link. Still confused though.

So does NEO6 take analogue stereo signals and split the sound between my five speaker set up or is it just for digital source. Also, Dolby PL II is different to Dolby Digital so surely it can take analogue source else it would be called Dolby Digital ?

:suicide: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fly

6. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :lease: Does anyone know about NEO 6 ?

cheers

Fly

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I found this definition which seems to say that any two channel source is suitable, hope it helps:

"DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder. It will take any two-channel source and expand it into five or six channels, depending on the equipment used and speakers connected. Two-channel sources include VHS tapes, broadcast television, stereo CDs and DVDs. DTS Neo:6 provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 also decodes a centre-surround channel from DTS-ES Extended Surround matrix soundtracks.
    DTS Neo:6 works along the same lines as the rival decoding technology Dolby Pro-Logic 2"

8. Flystar

Flystar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice one for that snippet. I am gonna stick to listening to Sky/Cable through NEO in that case. Sounds the best to my untrained ears anyhow.

Thanks

Fly