Denon DHT-500SD or Denon DHT-550SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Joolakker, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Joolakker

Joolakker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to all this, but after reading everyone's helpful comments I've decided to go for Denon All-inOne system. The only remaining question is:

500SD or 550SD

Is there anyone that can explain the difference between the 2? Apart from the big price difference!! :) To my untrained eyes it seems pretty much the same??

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. dunamis

dunamis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    From memory: the 550SD has an active sub, connections for 7.1 speakers and a bigger price tag. If you want 7.1 you still need to purchase additional speakers for the 550 but not the additional amp that you also need with the 500 for 7.1. From all reports the sub on the 500 is, if anything, a little too powerful as it is but I guess that's subjective.

The 550 also separates the DVD player and the amp - the 500 is all in one...not sure if that makes much difference.

You might want to check some of the new options coming on the market though since I don't believe either the 500 or 550 have HDMI output.

dunamis

3. Joolakker

Joolakker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!! Much Appreciated!

4. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The 550 only supports 6.1 i believe. Also has active sub, seperate amp with tons of connections (main reason i bought it).