1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DHT 500SD - new (novice) owner set-up query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by rich80, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Denon DHT 500SD from (the highly recommended) Peter Tyson.

My query relates to the setup of my system, which comprises of the following:

- Philips LCD TV (30PF9975), has component video connections and x4 scarts
    - Sky+
    - PS2
    - XBOX

I should be most grateful if someone could provide a comprehensive setup solution i.e. which cables to use etc. in order that I can get the most from this system.

Many thanks in advance
    Rich

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Component cables between the Denon and the tv.

Sky+, PS2 and XBox want to be outputting in RGB and connected via fully pinned, shielded RGB cables to the tv's RGB scarts. My tv has two RGB scarts so I have Sky+ in one and the other one is shared by the PS2/XBox via a scart switcher box.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Agree with Wicket on this, but would suggest trying component output for the PS2 or Xbox if your TV has enough component inputs - much better quality on my LCD and plasma screens.

4. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 21" Philips TV has 2 Scarts with the additional antenna connection. The NTL set top box has the same.
    Connected as :
    NTL Box -- RF Cable --> TV
    TV -- Scart --> Denon Scart
    PS2 -- RGB --> Denon RGB

DVDs sound great...but TV, tried with 'The Others' last nite, couldnt deliver 5.1 sound with Dolby PL II selected. :confused:
    Do I need some Scart-RGB connectors to correct this setup ?
    Advise appreciated.

5. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your advice.

Wicket - I assume the RGB connections would carry the audio as well as the visual? - heard a lot about optical connection for audio being superior however, given there is only one 'in' on the Denon, priority would have to be given to one of the additional pieces of equipment i.e. Sky+ - or is this irrelevant if using RGB connections?

Thanks in advance.

6. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition......

I assume the use of the scart switcher box for the PS2/XBOX does not mean that the RGB facility is lost if using an RGB scart?

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    whelse - you won't get 5.1 sound from the tv, only Sky+ films/dvds offer this facility and then you have to have Sky+/dvd player connected via optical cables.

rich, fully pinned scart connectors carry sound. However, what I do is run a phono cable from my tv's phono outputs to the Denon's video 1 input. This allows anything connected to the tv to play in surround sound if available. I believe you can also connect via the scart connection on the Denon but I have not tried this method (because I was using a scart switcher box and had ran out of scart sockets).

Then I have an optical switch box (£20 from Maplins) which I feed Sky+ and the XBox into, this has an optical lead into the optical input on the Denon. I select Video 2 to listen to the sound from either of these (manually selected beforehand on the switch box).

I have a cheap £10 Argos manual switch box which runs RGB from all its inputs. It works a treat, I know there is supposed to be some lack of quality but I have not noticed it.

8. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok...so no 5.1 unless I get optical cables. This I can get for the PS2, at the moment it runs with the Denon i/p set to Analog. Thinking of getting the optical connector from Maplins. Any other ideas?
    Also, whats the best I can do with the NTL box and the TV?

9. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing which got me was...I wasnt even getting surround for the TV with the "Dolby PL II Movie" selected. Must be something I hvnt set right!!

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Whuelse,

Were you getting any sound at all from the Denon when watching the TV?

Sounds to me that the Denon isn't getting a stereo sound input. This could be because you havn't selected 'TV' as the input - 'Function' button. Or the TV isn't Nicam stereo!

There is an alternative. Does the NTL box have RCA stereo phono outputs? If so, get a standard phono lead and connect these to one of the two pairs of phono 'ins' on the Denon. When watching the NTL output on the TV select 'Video 1' or 'Video 2' on the function menu. Tah Dah!

Anyway, sorry to hear you didn't get surround whilst watching 'The Others'. It was fantastic! Hee Hee.

Jimmy

11. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I just have phono outputs from the tv to the Denon and connect in the video 1 section of the Denon. This gives me surround sound from Sky+, XBox, PS2 though usually I watch Sky+ and listen via the optical cable connected to the optical input and sound selected under Video 2 on the Denon.

12. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV is a NICAM and I am selecting the TV i/p function on the Denon. The issue must be, that the only connection for the TV o/p is the Scart.
    So as u suggest, I will connect a dual phono lead frm the VCR (as NTL box doesnt hv it) to the Denon. This should hopefully gv me Surround for both the NTL and VCR output.
    Also, at the moment, the PS2 is connected using the RGB cables and hence it doesnt o/p DTS to the Denon. Think I need the optical cable for that...rite?

Got this now
    NTL Box -- RF Cable --> VCR
    VCR -- RF Cable --> TV
    PS2 -- RGB --> Denon RGB

Additionally, think I need this
    VCR -- Phono --> Denon
    Improvements
    PS2 -- Optical --> Denon

Cheers

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has the NTL box got a RGB out scart? I take it it has more than just an RF output. Trouble with your setup is that in order to get stereo to the amp, you have to watch your source through your VCR and that only has an RF input from the NTL box...

I know what you need.....a new telly. Enen a cheap'n'nasty widescreen for £150 will have at least two scarts and, hopefully a phono output. Look into it, as you seem to have a nice cinema sound system and cinema visual system!

Jimmy

14. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until I replace my 2 year old TV, got to make this work. :)
    The NTL box has got 2 Scarts alongwith the RF (mentioned in my 1st post). I am hoping they are RGB capable. Are you suggesting that if I use the Scart instead of the RF to the VCR, I would get the stereo i/p into the Denon (which can then PL II it?)
    So should I hv the following?
    NTL Box -- SCART --> VCR
    VCR --Scart --> TV
    PS2 -- RGB --> Denon RGB

Additionally, think I need this
    VCR -- Phono --> Denon
    Improvements
    PS2 -- Optical --> Denon

15. Kingmob04

Kingmob04
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an audio question. I'm not sure what scart my lead is- it has a gold colour plating and it's 10pin, but I've heard that you can get a scart that just transmits audio allowing you to use your speakers for the sound and not have to mute the tv.

Is this true?

16. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Whuelse,

OK, here's what I suggest. I'm assuming the NTL box outputs one of its scarts as RGB, the other as composite - not that it matters in this case. (Same as SKY Box). I'm also assuming you want the Denon hooked up to the TV using the TV's RGB.

Connect Scart from Denon to TV (Ext 1).
    Connect your VCR to Ext 2 on the TV via Scart.
    Connect one of the scarts on the NTL box to your VCR. (3 Scarts so far!)
    Connect the phono output from the VCR to the Phono In on the Denon.
    Connect RF from NTL to VCR to TV.

This should work.

Watch your NTL directly on your TV via RF if you want, but you'll get a better picture by watching it through your VCR's scart.

Not really ideal any of this. It might be an idea to get a scart switcher to allow you to connect both the NTL Box and the Denon to your RGB (Ext 1) on the TV.

Jimmy

17. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is exactly what I have got at the moment.
    Except the VCR -- Phono --> Denon is just a single phono at the moment. NEed to get another one this Sat. Not sure, maybe I will just get a Scart - 3Phono cable. Is that better?

Also, I dont seem to get any Surround from TV/VCR/NTL when set to Dolby PL II. Shouldn't the Scart(fully pinned) from the TV -> Denon gv stereo sound for the Denon to deliver surround?
    OR only the phonos can give Stereo?

Thanks

18. pitijopo

pitijopo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have just bought the Denon DHT-500SD Home Theatre System. I have connected it using a scart cable and the DVD is superb. Unfortunately I can not manage to get the TV (Sony Freewiew digital TV) sound through the theatre system. What shall I do? Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

M

:lease:

19. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Connect a stereo phono lead from your TV phono out to the Denon Video 1. I assume the TV has Phono out.

Jimmy