Denon DHT-500SD. Discoloration on component output

M

MtlDty

Just got my new system delivered today. Spent a good hour unpacking and setting up the speakers, then let fly with a couple of films to try the picture/sound.

Unfortunately I noticed a large block of discolouration in a narrow vertical stripe just right of the centre of the screen. Though this is very noticable on moving images its somewhat harder to see on most still images. These frames from The Fellowship of the Ring give a good example though. Here is the frame through RGB Scart output (looking fine if somewhat drab):

http://wgnw14147.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/temppages/lotr-rgbscart.JPG

And here is the same frame through component output:

http://wgnw14147.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/temppages/lotr-component.JPG

There is a dramatic colour difference between the two images, but rest assured that the camera setup etc is all the same. To be honest I think the component colours are more realistic, and the image is far sharper. However the discoloured stripe (which usually looks pink) ruins it.

So the main question is - anyone else using component output on the Denon who may have noticed this? I can rule out the cables and the TV and the same frames through another component capable dvd player do not have this discolouration

Many thanks

Nope,

using QED component cable from denon to panny viera and no discolouration whatsoever though I get very faint white lines when image changes quickly when in progressive scan!

I don't have any discolouration using component cables from the Denon to my Viera.

Ah, fixed it!

I still had the scart connected to my TV also. For whatever reason disconnecting the scart clears up the problem, and makes a dramatic difference to the whole screen.

The manual recommends only using one video connection to the TV, and I still had my scart connected from when I was setting up.

Could just be a problem with my TV, a 36" Toshiba 36ZP48.

Thanks for the replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom