1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon dht-500sd and scratches

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mischi p, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mischi p

mischi p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got this system based on good reviews in mags and forums. Impressed by sound quality but worried about DVD picture quality. When I watch a DVD (hooked up from scart on the Denon to scart on TV) I every so often see blocks on the screen for a split second. They last for a very short time (and look like they might be caused by imperfect discs) but I'm finding I'm now waiting for the next time it's going to happen. Then just as I forget about it it happens again.

I only rent DVD's, don't buy any, so inevitably they are usually slightly scratched or have the odd mark on them. The ones I've tried have slight imperfections on the playing surface but nothing major.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the Denon dht-500sd just very susceptible to slightly scratched DVDs. Have only seen one thread which mentioned this and nothing from anyone else! Would a new better quality Scart connector help or maybe I need to clean the laser thingy (technical term of course!) even though it's only a few week's old. By the way no jumping on audio cds at all.

Any help to stop this prob or reassurance that I'm not the only one would be much appreciated!

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No I have not seen any blocking. I would suspect it is the discs you are using.

3. Eallin

Eallin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only odd "feature" I've noticed in the two months I've had the system is that very occassionally (twice) I get a block of sub titles displaying in a fuzzy kind of way.

Assumed it was down to disc quality. Interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Ed.

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've had the sub-titles appear a couple of times (several blocks of text, un-clar/doubled up).

Someone suggested it was the layer change on some discs, I'd also wondered if the multi-region mod had anything to do with it. Anyway, it's not really a problem at all.

nathan

5. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yea i get the subtitles problem too. I suspected it was the layer change and a bug in the firmware. I dont have the multi-region firmware installed though.

Im trying to get this solved with Denon atm.

Happened on Fast And Furious Chapter 6, Final Destination 2, 3/4 way through and Pearl Harbour, right at the end.

Funnily enough it wont happen if you skip to the capter manually. Only happens if you watch from the beginning.

6. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Interesting....If you don't mind can you let us know what Denon say about this.

Nathan

7. dougbryson

dougbryson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the 500SD to cope brilliantly with scratched discs. I rent quite a lot of DVD's too and many have had surface scratches which look pretty nasty to the naked eye and refuse to play on my PC DVD-ROM drive. All of them have played without a single glitch on the Denon though. Very impressive.
    The only glitch I've encountered was when I was skipping through The Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King Extended Edition, my own very clean copy, not a scratched rental copy. I was jumping between the 4 audio commentaries and found that the cast one started juddering and slowed the picture down a little as if it was trying to catch up. I figured that this might be to do with a slight delay between the Denon reading the picture information and the fourth audio channel. Has anyone else had this problem?

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just to confirm that I have also had the subtitles appear just briefly whilst watching a DVD.
    Only happened for about a second or two early in the film, didn't happen again as far as I am aware.
    Rob

9. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sure, i will let you know what Denon say. I plan on contacting them again tommorrow. Intially they were very helpfuly until we hit a dead end where the guy on the other end replied saying he wasn't sure and he will pass it onto his supervisors. This was last tuesday.

Lets see what 2moro brings. :)

10. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the subtitles doubling up and flickering in the very 1st whole movie I saw on my brand new 500. Midway thru "Gangs of NY" ...thought it was a layer change....dont think it was a dual layer DVD though. :)

Hvnt tried multiregion yet...got it from Peter Tyson...hope it is.

11. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This is starting to become a more common issue than previously thought.

Doesn't it seriously annoy people when it happens, considering its a fairly pricey item?

12. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I know what you're saying and agree in principal. It's one of those problems that, in my instance, happens so in-frequently (twice in three months) that you kind of ignore it. Still, as you quite rightly say, it's a pricey all-in-one and really shouldn't happen at all.

If you speak to Denon again regarding this then tell them you've heard that other 500 owners are experiencing this. I'll be interested to hear their explanation.

Nathan

13. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,
    I bought this system based on great reviews and its glowing reception at this site.
    However, I've noticed afew inconsistencies, and wonder if anyone's come across the same thing:

1) When playing brand new DVDs there are occassions when the screen will display some blocks randomly. Sometimes above the centre, sometimes below... but never consistently in the same place when i replay the same scene. Its hard to explain, sort of like the denon is unable to decode the digital information accurately. Its already starting to really annoy me. I'm pretty sure that this machine wont win awards if this is a consistent problem with the unit, so I'm wondering if its just my one is a dud. It happens roughly every 4-5mins. Any thoughts?

2) Less frequently, but no less annoying is that I notice someitmes the sound cuts out for a micro-second. ENough to be noticable, but again I can't really repeat it consistently. It just happens.

I'm running an s-video connection between the Denon and my TV... hoping to upgrade the latter to have component connection when funds allow.

Appreciate any and all comments!
    Michael

14. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've had my Denon 500 for six months and have not witnessed any such symptons. Reckon you might have a dud unit and should probably return immediately.

Nathan

15. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan, I'll do just that. cheers :)

16. MichaelCheung

MichaelCheung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unit was swapped over, and now works like a dream!!!!