Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon DHT-500 v Seperates-Advice Please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dougan, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dougan

dougan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,
    I have a Panasonic all in one, which I have had for over 3 years. Apart from having no DTS, I quite enjoy watching movies, and concerts on dvd. I would not listen to music on the new system, apart from DVD-A discs.
    I am now planning a upgrade, and my question is this -
    Do I buy the Denon DHT-500 all in one for £420, as a straight replacement, or do I go down the seperates road.
    The system I have in mind, is the Denon AVR 1705 amp, Pioneer DV575A dvd player and the Elac Cinema 1 mk2 speaker package. I can purchase this kit for a shade over £500, allowing £100 for the extra cables, this makes it £200 more than the DHT-500.
    Would I notice a big difference between the two? Considering one does cost a third more. Or do I just buy the DHT-500 and spend the surplus £200 on DVD's to enjoy.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, as I am a novice when it comes to AV, music being my main interest.

Cheers
    dougan

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I know the Denon 500 is a fantastic bit of kit and is the first all in one cinema kit I have bought. The last two times I have gone down the separates line which I always believe is the best. So I would hazard a guess and say separates would be best, however, I know when I read a review of the Denon kit when they were testing it with other all in ones, it was the odd one out because it was under £500 whilst the others were all in the £700+ bracket, it came second but got the best value award. Its specifications put it more in line with more expensive pieces of kit.

I would suggest you read some reviews. I know I nearly went for the Denon 1905 amp because of its excellent reviews but didn't think I would swing the £500 for the Wharfedale 9.1 Diamond speakers which were recommended for the system with the hubbie; so I settled on the Denon system.

3. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I have just gone the route of selling what was a very nice seperates set up to purchase the Denon DHT500.
    I have to be honest and say musically the Denon isn't quite as good as my seperates were but I have no complaints with the quality where DVD's are concerned.
    Really depends what you are going to do with it I suppose.
    I would go the seperates route if you plan on playing a lot more music than watching films.
    Rob

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    I have a Denon DHT500 in my bedroom, and a Denon/Sony/B&W separates system in the lounge.

The DHT500 is excellent for movies, and ok with music, but the separates system is better in every respect. This is, however, a much more expensive system.

See if you can get a listen to the separates before you buy, but TBH I think you will find the DHT500 very competitive with separates at that price point. The separates are likely to sound a bit better, but this will be offset by the size, convenience and price of the DHT500.

5. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I would decide on your best budget beforehand. If you can go that bit extra for the separates then it would be worth-while both from a sound perspective as well as better flexibility for future upgrades. The Denon 500 is very well received and with the lower price it can be bought for now I don't thnk you would be disappointed for the money. As regards the separates, the system you are considering would also be very good VFM.
    Might also be worth having a look at the Denon 550, their new 'all-in-one' but comes with a separate receiver and dvd player and a better subwoofer. Can be picked up for around £600.

6. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    superfi.co.uk have the 550 for £549.99 inc vat, delivery and it being multiregion.