Denon DHT 500 Speaker Stands

Ninj

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there an alternative to the Denon SS-30 speaker stand for the DHT system? Ive looked at the Alphason range and they all have the rear mounting as opposed to the 2 threaded holes that Denon use. Is there another brand to look at?

Ive tried without luck to order the SS-30s but they along with much of the Denon range are out of stock indefinately.

As far as speaker cables go, what is the largest diameter which will fit into the spring clips on the DHT - I was initially suprised it doesnt come with posts and have a feeling my thicker cables wont fit.

Can someone clear up the question of RGB and Scart leads please, Im being a bit thick! I only have one RGB Scart on the TV so is my best option to get an RGB only scart cable from Denon-TV ? Or is it possible to get an RGB (Component) to Scart cable and would there be any difference?

All I have to connect to the Denon is a Sky Digibox (Not +). Im not really sure how to connect the Sky to the Denon. Is this done from Sky-TV and then back to Denon? I appreciate I wont get full 5.1 from the Sky box.
Will I have to change the input from Sky to the DVD or is this done automatically?
Lots of questions, but thanks in advance for any thoughts

Rgds

Rich

Anyone?

do a search on the forum, im pretty sure this has come up before with multiple options, when you find it, link to it as im faced with the same problem.

I have searched, but most of the responses confuse me more ;)

I plan on using an Ixus RGB only scart from Denon to TV to handle the picture but Im still undecided about how to get the video/audio input from the sky to the Denon.

As far as the speaker stand question goes, I understand the Denon SS-30s are actually just Alphason SS-30s with Denon fitting kits. Are these available only from Denon? Theyre virtually twice the price of the standard SS-30s, which arent a particularly robust stand to begin with.

Can anyone confirm what thickness of speaker cable they are able to use with the spring clips?

Thanks again

Rich

I got some AVF stands from maplins (£12) ten times better than the alphason.
they are solid and stable unlike, the alphasons and come in silver or black.
hope this helps.

Thanks Shaun, and I assume these stands come with the Denon fittings?

Are these the ones?

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

• 32650i0.jpg
    32650i0.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 228
The Denon SS30s are still available - I got a second pair for £42 delivered last week.

Having said that, those AVFs look like a much cheaper alternative if they come with the Denon fittings.

Thanks daveb, where did you get them from? Everyone was out of stock when I rang round last week.

Rgds

Rich

Hi, I've got the 550SD system and use component cables for the picture (RGB if you don't have component connections) and optical cable for the sound between my sky box and the Denon. I'm not sure about the 500SD but mine can take a stereo signal and make it surround sound, but as I have sky+ this isn't needed.

Cheers

Hi Nick thanks for the reply. I tried my RGB only scart last night for the picture from Denon to TV and it wont work. Ive set the output to RGB on the menu on the Denon but again nothing.

Im using a fairly low end TV but I was under the impression that one of its Scarts was RGB.

Is there anything Im doing wrong ?

Thanks

Rich

Ninj said:
Thanks Shaun, and I assume these stands come with the Denon fittings?

Are these the ones?

Thanks

Rich

they're the ones.

Yup, bought some yesterday and theyre great. Much stronger than the flimsy Alphason ones and theyre only £14.99 pr.

Unless theyre completely hidden though I think they need a respray as the Silver ones have a Hammerite finish.

AVF wall mounts from Curry's(£20) ideal

Attachments

• Den2[1].jpg
    Den2[1].jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 304
Hi Ninj,

You need to go straight to the TV with the scart/RGB lead, not via the Denon.
For sound, check out the rear of the Sky box, does it have a connection with 'optical' written near it? If so buy yourself an optical lead and connect this from sky to the Denon which has a optical connection. If the sky doesn't have this connection then connect using normal yellow/red/white jacks. On my system I have to then select the input source, just go through them with the volume up until you hear something, but give a couple of seconds each time as it isn't instant.

Cheers

Ive reselected RGB in the output menu on the Denon and it now works as advertised. Im not sure if theres much of an improvement over the regular Scart, but although it wasnt an RGB ones, it was a quality cable.
For the Sky I am now using the regular scart cable to the TV, and 2x phonos for the audio which is fine.

Moral of the story seems to be, if at first you dont succeed, try again.

Thanks

Rich

Great tread it answers most of my questions.

However does anyone have any suggestions as to the best mid price speaker wire for a 500sd system.

Al suggestions gratefully received.

HI reading this thread with interest, I have a LCD 32LD7200, I have dht500 being deliverd n Tuesday and Sky + , I know component is the best connection for picture but what about sound?

tdg1230 said:
HI reading this thread with interest, I have a LCD 32LD7200, I have dht500 being deliverd n Tuesday and Sky + , I know component is the best connection for picture but what about sound?

SKY+ has an Optical out I belive, so for sound from that, thats what I would use.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom