Denon DHT 500 - LipSync

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ninj, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all,

For a while Ive noticed slight lip sync problems when playing a variety of DVDs. Sat down to watch 24:Series 2 yesterday and its really noticable.

It seems to lose sync after about 20 mins and gets slightly worse. If you stop and play, it catches back up again and all is well for a bit.

Does anyone know a fix?

This is a new amp/dvd unit since the last ones output stage went pop with associated flames and smoke :(

On another thread, are there any firmware updates about and would they help? How are these units made Multi Region as mine was bought as such and I wouldnt want to revert it by messing about with firmware.

Thanks in advance

Rich

2. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I too have noticed lip sync issues on my 500sd.
    Ive not had it long, the first couple of films I watched I was using an S-video as was undecided whether to get a scart or use component.
    Someone gave me a cheap scart so I plugged it in. While watching Curb your enthusiasm, the lip sync was definatley out.
    I hadnt noticed it while using s-video, but to be fair I had just watched a film before curb with the scart and hadnt spotted it either!

Is there anything we can do to iron this out?
    Is it the cheap scart?

I will plug the s- video back in tonight with curb to see if it still happens.
    I know component is the best picture but I have my 360 plugged in there and dont really want to fart about with switches. (It could take her a while to figure that out).

Any ideas people?
    Ta!

3. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Garp,

Its not a cheap scart issue, its the same with a £40 scart or a £50 component cable :/

Had it again last night with 24 Series3. I plugged an old CRT into te DVD with scart and the LCD with Component. There was no lip sync problems to the LCD.

Id be interested to hear what you are noticing it on and whether its the same on all screens. Ive read a bit more about it and it seems the DHT500 isnt the only Denon to suffer. Some 1730/1930s have documented lip sync issues some of which have been tied down to compatibilty with a particular screen.

4. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll do some more testing soon.
    Ive got a sony klv 32 m.
    In U.K

5. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just for info, I did some further testing today.

Isolating the DVD side of the DHT by using an old Panny A160 I noted the following:

With the Panny connected directly to the TV via scart there is no lip sync delay at all.

Panny video connected with Scart, audio to the DHT amp with 2xRCA, there is a very slight lipsync which is more obvious when you turn up the TV volume - there is a slight echo.

Plugging the DHT back in as normal (so playing DVD on the DHT and using its amp, and feeding the video to the TV via RGB only scart), Id estimate the lip sync to be twice as bad.

So, not entirely sure what is wrong. Is it the DHT is taking too much time to process the audio and output it or is it a TV issue (bearing in mind there is no delay with both via scart direct to TV).

Its hard to tell if the sound is after or before the video - probably should have noted that :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rich

6. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went out and got drunk last night so testing wasnt an option.

This morning though I had relized that sound was coming out of the TV, as well since using scart.

Is this one of the reasons for lip sync probs?

Is there a setting that uses the amp only whilst using scart for picture.
    Or is the lip sync still an issue with the TV sound turned down.

While using a scart for picture is that the norn to turn down tv volume?

7. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Turn the TV down/mute it when you want sound from the amp. It doesn't stop lip sync but it negates any echoing sound you may hear otherwise. Plus you'd possibly stuff up the full surround sound effects if you have a further 2 speakers on your TV added to the mix.

8. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Garp,

Yeh exactly like nry says.

Having the tv sound up is a good test though, any echo between it and the surround speakers and you have lip sync delays somewhere.

If you have lip sync problems with only the TV sound up and its connected by a decent scart and its the same on more than one TV, Id suggest its probably the Denon at fault
    If like me though, its only when you include the DHT amp and have it connected to the LCD, the lip sync re appears, I suspect a compatabilty problem between the DHT and TV.
    I say this because it was much much worse using the Denon vs the old Panny DVD player and I dont think the TV is totally to blame as it doesnt do it with other sources.

These are just my thought processes, but its hard to tell, Im stuck :)

There is no setting on the DHT to turn off the amp or DVD side of it unfortunately, you just have to bypass it with a second amp or DVD.

Rgds

Rich

9. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure if it was the TV sound as I havnt had a chance to test tv sound and av sound seperately.
    I will retry the S-video again to see if it is the scart that causes sync probs. If that works then I will settle with a slight loss in quality rather than lip sync probs.
    I just cant live with that.
    If that doesnt work then does anyone know how to elliminate this annoying and posibly health damaging problem :(

10. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Short of fitting a synchroniser box (around £99) or sending it back - nothing will fix it.

Is it on all discs?

Mine is fine on some and horrendous on others, notably TV series box sets

Rich

11. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine on ebay fo 300 smackers.
    No chance of a return there!
    It was on a TV boxset that I noticed it too.

I had a crappy all-in-one sony davs-300 for about 7 years just before that an had no such problems.
    How did this system rate so highly on so many sites/mags. I am no expert and noticed it straight away! :hiya:

12. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The lip sync problems can be found throughout the Denon range, on a lot more pricey kit so its not just the DHT. Im not sure what differs from DVD to DVD to make it manifest the sync issue as watched on any other setup, the "suspect" discs are fine.

I cant knock the DHT for its sound, or picture quality for that matter. For the £399 RRP, its still an absolute steal and by far the best performer. However, and its a big however for me, thats completely irrelevant if it suffers from this problem.

There are many users who have no such problems, so this backs up the theory there are compatability problems with certain Tvs, again, not confined to the DHT.

Im stepping away from the brand to try and tie it down but I cant honestly say its a TV issue as there are no lip sync problems with HD material, even streamed at 1080i - surely more work for the panel and more likely to drift out of sync.
    I think its a bit of both; For info, this is the second DHT main unit Ive had as the first blew itself internally resulting in a 18" flame out of the top grille. Replaced by Denon, they both suffered from exactly the same problem. Bear in mind I used to watch that one on a £199 Bush CRT and there were lip sync problems then too.

Hope you get it tied down one way or another, but to me, a great product is let down when put with other kit which should improve the experience not degrade it.

Rgds

Rich

13. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice people.

I will try a few things tonight.
    I could put it back on ebay I spose.

My mate said try watching DVDs through my xbox360 as its linked to denon via optical, and picture via component.(just to make me feel better). Not ideal as my girlfriend wont want to sort out so much kit just to watch Newlyweds/Friends on DVD.

14. Ninj

Ninj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Could certainly be useful for a test

15. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havnt tested the 360 yet but I tried Curb your Enthusiasm again and lypsync prob was gone. It must be the case that it drifts out eventualy.

Once I notice it again I will try stopping disc and restarting to see if that helps.

Stay tuned folks!

16. Garp

Garp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Havnt tested the 360 yet but I tried Curb your Enthusiasm again and lypsync prob was gone. It must be the case that it drifts out eventualy.

Once I notice it again I will try stopping disc and restarting to see if that helps.

Stay tuned folks!