1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Dht-500/dht550sd

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by newcomer, Nov 3, 2004.

1. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lesson:
    Can anybody tell me why get the 550 instead of the 500, ie what do you get for the extra £220 that the 550 costs

Thanks

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, I suppose it comes in two units (receiver & DVD player) so theoretically it's seperates which you could change either at a later date. Personally I don't buy into that as at this price point you're more than likely to just buy a whole new set up in 4-5 years which reflects the current technology of the time. It does come with an active sub-woofer as oppsed to the 500's passive one - again I've got the 500 and the sub-woofer is more than adequate and supplies plenty of lower end range - personal taste. I think the rest of the speakers are the same except I noted that the 550 had more substantial connectors on them. You also might want to check out wether the 550 is ready enabled to support 6.1 & 7.1 surround mode - with the 500, although it supports this you do have to buy an additional amplifier to drive the speakers.

All in all I'm sure the 550 has some superior qualities over the 500 - really you have to ask yourself if these are qualities you require and are worth the extra cost. I have the 500 and I'm amazed at the sound quality for both DVD and CD. At £400 I feel happy if it lasts four years before it becomes a second system and I get a more up-to-date one for the main room.

PS
    The girlfriend also likes as it's a neat all-in-one

3. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

Thanks for the comment, by the way have you had trouble with this"noisy fan"

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I am one of two, possibly three users who have commented on this. I'm unsure wether it's me being a bit sensitive to the fan (you know, once you lock onto something you can't get it out of your head) or wether my fan is marginally noisier than others. To put it into context, there are other users who have commented that it doesn't bother them/they can't hear it.

5. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks for your comments, i think i will go for the 500 as you rightly point out it all depends what you want, me i just require a good system to plat dvd' and audio.

I have the following
    A 42" Panasonic plasma TV TH-42pa20 with the following connections
    3 scarts (2rgb), component video, s_video input, composite video input, stereo audio input, stereo audio output.

I will be using SKY+ which has 2 scarts
    What is the best way to connect up???

6. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only thoughts are that if you buy the 550 from unbeatable it was only another £80ish which isnt that much more money and you do get seperate units.

On Denons web site it lists the unit as 6.1.

Just checked the price and I am wrong, Its actually £582.99 not £480 as I was thinking :( Now I will have to reconsider myself.

7. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the link to the one from unbeatable http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22276.html

I notice that the link you put up for the 550 from av-land states that it is multiregion, I wonder if this is a mistake as your response from Denon stated that it was region 2 only.

9. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    Answer for fan noise frm DENON

There are no reported faults with the units regarding the fan noise.

However you could have a case when the fan can go faulty and start to make a noticeably louder noise….but this is very rare.

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    DHT 500 - multi-region enabled from Peter Tyson. I bought mine from them and got next day delivery - more importantly there T&C's are good (if it goes wrong within guarantee period they collect at their cost or refer you to local Denon agent - very rare for internet purchasing).

12. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't mind me asking? How much did you pay?

13. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    1 month ago it was £419.00 inclusive of delivery - I noted it's had a slight increase of late. Bear in mind that if you don't purchase it multi-region enabled a shop might charge you up to £70.00 to update the firmware at a later date (a right scam as it's just a CD Rom).

14. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Personally, I'd just find a supplier who sends it out all ready multi-region enabled and then it's sorted. It seems to mean a difference of around £30.00.

16. newcomer

newcomer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes perhaps your right, what do you know about (i think its )macrovision locked

17. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Macrovision is one of the security provisions included on the DVD disc to prevent it being copied (along with region codes and encryption). It basically makes the picture unstable if you try to record it on a VHS or similar. Not sure how it relates to DVD players - all I know is if you wish to back-up DVD's then you can get hold of software for you computer that removes all the security provisions and allows you to make a copy of the original DVD.

18. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With dht 550sd, IS it possible to connect any hdmi dvd player with the a/v reciever and see the quality of hdmi player and listen the quality of denon system

19. FoooManChu

FoooManChu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know there are other guys on here that will give you more detail but realistically I can't see why you can't. My Philips TV has digital audio out so I could pipe the audio straight back from the HDMI to the denon receivers' inputs. If your hdmi player had a dedicated digital out (optical or coxial) you could line it straight to the receiver too. There's enough inputs on this beauty :D

All in all that's why I'm seriously looking at this bit of kit. It's discontinued now so might pick one up cheap and the separate nature of the receiver gives it some form of future proofing...

:)

20. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks a lot for ur reply. Now my confusion is over. I can buy the 550sd.

By the way, it;s not discontinued. It's available at £528 from sound and vision but that's not multiregion. multiregion is £620 cheapest anywhere. Is there any hack available for this. I searched this forum. I couldn't find any.

21. spchannell

spchannell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have a pm from me. It has the link the a thread with the link you need If you get what i mean)

:smashin:

22. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have the 550. It is available from petertyson multiregion. it is capable of 6.1 but have to buy an additional speaker £50. earth shattering yet punchy bass from the active sub (IMO)

Bought mine for all connectors as have almost everything going throu it. Has 2x optical ins (in relation to the digital audio/HDMI question) Amp does get very hot though so i would suggest against stacking it or putting it in an enclosed space.

23. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    The unbeatable link links you to sound and vision. Speakers you get aren't the Denon's either.

I got mine (550) from Superfi who I think are doing without the speakers now for £350. Good in a way as it lets you choose other speakers that may be on offer or suit your room better.

24. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Today I bought a new 550sd with one year denon warrenty from Ebay for £503 including delivery. That seller is charging £12 for making it multiregion. But now I am having problem in paying. As paypal doesnt accept payment above £500.

25. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170

Try doing it in two lumps.

Denon come with 2 years as standard.

Take the multi region option - you CAN do it yourself but it is far from easy and any mistake has the potential of turning your new toy in to an attractive paper-weight (Trust me, I speak from experience :eek: )

26. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am planning to connect Denon 550sd with panny 42pv500 with component cable. Could you guys tell which cable do i need for audio. And how many cables would I need?

27. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Audio for what? For DVD playback you do not need an extra connection, the sound comes through the Denon's speakers. If you mean for the TV source going back through the Denon, a Scart connection will do the trick and set the 550 to TV. The component connection from the Denon is output only, not input.

Edit - Or, as you have Sky+, you can connect the Sat box to the 550 via an optical cable. So your connections would be -

Sky+ to Panny via RGB scart
    Sky+ to Denon via optical cable
    Denon to Panny via Component cable

That would do the trick I reckon

28. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Conn for replying. That really helped. One more question (Hope u r not irritated by now:) ). If I am connecting sky+ to denon by optical cable then what would happen to the panny's sound. I mean it will still continue to come from plasma. Wont it? Will I need to mute the panny's sound?
    And regarding optical cable- Do u think MG cable will be good or u reckon some other company. THanks

29. pm79

pm79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are so many optical cables ranging from £4 to £100. Does it really makes a difference with the quality of optical cable. I have been reading the optical cables and could not get a substantive answer.
    Please help..

30. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    For recommending a cable -not sure myself. I dont feel comfortable spending more than circa £30 on a bit of wire and have never been able to see much difference beyond a step up from the cheap stuff.

Do you go for bog-standard Unleaded petrol, or do you go for Super-Unleaded/Optimax/whatever and pay the premium?

Bear with the crap analogy...if you have a normal car/system or are not sensitive to the difference, you would probably pick unleaded....if you had a high end car/system or were very "picky", you may pay the extra...

Me, I'm an unleaded-supermarket-petrol kinda guy :D