Denon DCD-16OONE and DSD SACD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by steph73, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. steph73

steph73
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    Does anyone know for sure that this player does not convert DSD files to PCM when playing SACD? It has the TI PCM1795 chip so it should be able to do it...
    Thanks.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,266
    DCD-1600NE | High Quality Super Audio CD Player

Though I speculate, I think that would only matter if you are using the Digital Outputs on the CD/SACD Player. I think for universal compatibility, the Digital Output would have to be PCM.

However internally, there is no need to convert to PCM, rather just decode to analog, and send it out the RCA connectors. I've seen the DCD-1600 running from £900 to £1300, so one would expect this to be a pretty good player.

Hopefully other with more intimate knowledge of this player can give you a better answer.

Steve/bluewizard

3. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Both digital outputs are PCM.

For SACD it has 3 modes.
    Analog output plays SACD stereo layer without decimating to PCM first.

If set to Multi for SACD playback , as the player can only output Stereo its decimated to PCM first before mixdown to stereo

If set to CD layer it decodes the PCM to analog.

4. steph73

steph73
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I should have mentionned that I am only interested in the analog ouputs. Andy, where did you get the info that the SACD stereo layer is not converted into PCM before being ouput through the analog out?

5. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Uses the same chip and circuit configuration as the Teac UD 501 DAC , which Ive had on the test bench.

List of DSD dacs and their capabilities here , newer devices may not be on the list yet, native DSD is the item you are looking for.
    Your player is not on the list yet but the Teac is , same chip , same config.

NativeDSD Database

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  6. steph73

steph73
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll stick to physical SACDs, not into dematerialised music, so if I buy a DAC I'll need an SACD transport (not many and very expensive).

7. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    I think you are missing the point of that list.
    All the items on the list have non decimating DSD dacs, in other words they all play back DSD natively without prior decimation to PCM.

There are many more in existence but only players known to be non decimating are included.
    For example, Oppo BD 103 and 105 are included, as are 203 and 205 , but not 83 , 93, 95 as those decimate to PCM.

The list includes standalone dacs, disc players, and amps/receivers.
    As the Teac is included, and as your player uses the same chipset in the same configuration, its most likely that your player is a non decimating player when playing SACD in its default mode of Stereo for SACD.