1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon DC Switching (remote power amp on/off).

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Flimber, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    My next reciever might not have DC output to switch my Denon power amps. The question is, can I switch the amps on and off via any other means ? Is this signal (5V/12V ?) constant or transient and is it non-discrete (the same signal merely switching the amp to opposite state) ? Would a standard multi-voltage adapter do the trick, if I had to ?

Mike.

2. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Mike, I had a similar problem (with Krell and Rotel power amps)which I resolved with some X10 equipment as follows

IR7243 transceiver which can accept IR comands from a Pronto or suchlike or can be operated by hand.
    An XM11U 12vDC supply which can be switched on and off using the IR7243. (some soldering is required to make this work properly, PM me if you are interested in the details). This plugs directly into the 12vDC trigger of the amps and switches them on and off perfectly.

Alternatively, a standard 12vDC power supply switched on and off at the mains would work just fine.

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I'm thinking of utilising the ac outlet of an amp with an adapter dangling ;)

Mike.

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Oh, in that case, I think the answer to your question is that the signal is constant. i.e. when the power supply is on, the amps are on, if it is switched off, the amps switch off. So all you need to do is have the adapter dangling from the amp and the Denon will do whatever the main amp does. Nice and easy, just make sure the adapter has a 2 pin 3.5mm jack with pin 1 hot.

HTH