Denon DBP2012.Now widely available for under £500.Why?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by charles, Jan 10, 2012.

1. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This player won the What Hi-Fi awards in 2011 when most retailers were selling the machine at around £749.00.Three months later and we see these huge discounts.Is there something amiss with these machines that has caused this to happen?
    I have never seen such discounts on a Blu-Ray player so early in its life especially one that has had many 5 star reviews both in this country and abroad.
    Perhaps someone in the trade or Denon themselves would like to comment as at these prices I am seriously considering making a purchase.
    Charles

2. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    So far there has been 161 views of the post but not a single reply.Surely there must be a AV forum member who can shed some light on this.
    Charles

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. skk3

skk3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    The price you mention was probably only a MRRP. Greedy manufacturers must prey on early adopters - it's exactly the same when a new TV comes out; it is never long before they are discounted and this, in my opinion, bears no reflection on individual abilities...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    Possibly due to competition.

There are products that offer additional features and perform certain functions better yes cost less. As people become more tech savy through forums like this traditional subjective WHF? reviews and awards tend to carry little credibility.

Avi

5. chrislaw1968

chrislaw1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Are you talking about the oppo 93 , I was looking at the marantz 5005/7006 due to the falling prices , is the oppo a clear step ahead of these.
    Chris

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    It depends what you mean by a clear step ahead. Certainly the Oppo or Cambridge Audio players offers some advantages in terms of features and performance in certain areas i.e. PAL film DVD cadence, analogue bass management, 4:2:2 colourspace output option etc .

Your specific requirements and performance demands should help determine if one product provides a better solution than another.

Avi

7. chrislaw1968

chrislaw1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I currently have a panasonic 210 bd hooked up to a yamaha rxv2067, but id like a player that looksa bit more classy if you get my drift and one that is good to play cds from , i dont need two hdmi out as i have two on my amp.
    I like the look of the marantz over the oppo and i can get the 5005 for around £300 and the 7006 for around the same price of the oppo.
    As my amp is quite a high end amp would i get better performance putting the players in source direct or using the bd players processors.

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,063
    There are lots of variables and a much depends on your performance expectation with regard to CD music. Typically mixing CD music with video and HDMI in a device (especially device performing DAC) i.e. player or processor isn't the best recipe for music performance.

I'm not familiar with your AVR so what offers any video processing advantage is something you'll need to test and establish. The player is always required to perform some video processing DVD and Blu-ray i.e. decoding, chroma upsampling etc and source direct doesn't change this. Source direct will automatically change output resolution and freq to match the content i.e. 576i for DVD or Blu-ray 1080p/24(23.976) etc plus bypassing additional enhancement type processing.

If you haven't already and your display allows it properly calibrating the display chain may yield better video performance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012