1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON Crossover Frequency

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Petey, Feb 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a denon avc-a1se, I have all my speakers set to small and subwoofer to yes.

According to the manual this means all stuff below 80Hz won't be played by the speakers and will be sent to the sub. Does this also mean that anything above 80Hz will not be sent to the sub or will it continue to receive the full bandwidth of the LFE channel.

The manual says that .1 LFE channel receives stuff upto 120Hz, so my question is this:

Does setting the speakers to small act as a crossover frequency cut off for the sub or is it just a cut off for the main speakers. Meaning I would have to use the subs own frequency cut off.

Hope that all makes sense. I'm just curious as I read elsewhere in this forum that you can set the crossover on the amp to 80Hz and then max out the sub. Obviously wouldn't wanna max out the sub it's still recieving a frequency range up to 120Hz.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The cross over frequency should be purely for what is sent to the any speakers set to 'small'. So in your example of a cross over of 80hz and all speakers set to small, anything below 80hz will be sent to the sub and anything above 80hz is sent to the relevant channel (so everything in the .1 channel is sent to the sub)

The 'normal' recommendation is that you set the cross over on the amp to a suitable level for your speakers (80 hz is the THX recommendation for 'normal' speakers) and then set the cross over to its highest level on the sub. That way the correct information is sent to the sub for any small front/centre/surround speakers and the sub will also play the full LFE channel - if you also set the sub cross over to 80hz then you would simply lose any of the LFE channel that was recorded above this frequency - the amp wouldnt reassign it to one of the other channels as (a) it probably wont realise your sub isnt playing it (b) there is no information for the amp to decide which other channel to play it through.

3. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks, this will help.

There is no actual crossover setting on the amp, all that can be done is changing the speaker size from large to small. The manual does say though that if set to small all frequencies below 80Hz go to the sub. So I guess this is a very limited crossover setting. AMP DENON AVC-A1SE

Another question, when setting the volume of the .1 channel. The volume can be adjusted on the amp, + and - db also there is a gain on the sub which is like volume as well.

Which setting should be adjusted, should the amp be left on 0db and use the gain to set volume or should the amp be -db or +db and then use the gain. All my other channels are -db settings to achieve the 75db on the SPL. Not sure about the sub though as there are 2 different ways of controlling the volume.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The guidelines I have read is to set the sub to a middle to upper gain level (so the subs built in amp is working fully as some arent the best at very low levels and isnt over stretching itself by setting to max) and then adjust using the amps gain to get the correct level.

My personal experience with my sub which has a built in auto-on/off is to set the sub a little lower to ensure that the incoming signal from the amp is significant enough for the sub not to go into standby.

Other than the min-max issues I cannot think of any logical benefit of using one or the other but prehaps someone who is a little more into the 'theory' would be able to give a more definative answer

5. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll try adjusting the settings tonight. I don't have an auto switch on my sub, just an on or off switch so I'll try the sub on a middle setting and adjust the amp accordingly.

Many thanks