Denon can't change aspect ratio per input?

FlT4ever

Novice Member
Hi, first I apologize if this was already answered but I used google and didn't find anything related.

I have a Denon AVR-X1400H, can someone please tell me it's possible to set either the video aspect ratio or have different stretch or zoom setting individually per input or source?

Like many others, I have I one 480p device (yes, HDMI and yes it is set to 16/9 ratio) going in the receiver but having it full screen would be nice. I can stretch it via my TV but it applies the stretch to all my other HD devices input on my receiver which I don't want, (only one input from receiver to TV). Heck, even the internet radio source (which is embedded and not using any input) only goes 480p, it be nice to have that full screen as well.

Surely, an experienced company as Denon has thought about this but I searched through the settings on the receiver and can't find it. Can anyone please help me?

Thank you kindly

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The 16:9 setting is universal to all inputs as that is what fits the vast majority of TVs now available. The TV should, if a new model, be able to correctly fit the image ratio automatically. Your are asking a receiver to do something that is the domain of the TV. Blame the TV.

FlT4ever

Novice Member
You're right, if I plug this device in HDMI2 input on my TV and set to stretch, it goes full screen. Blame the TV, maybe but it can do it. I just thought since Denon forces only one output, that it would be smart enough to allow the user to change the aspect size per each of its input to "still allow the user to do the same thing while enjoying better sound".

Disapointing

gibbsy

No receiver has the ability to do this and I doubt any ever will now, especially as 4:3 is something of a legacy these days. A receiver should be for audio and it's video functions are limited. As for the TV I know that my TV, even with video coming through the receiver, will automatically detect a 4:3 signal, I have a few concert DVDs that I still play. It's a function that your TV should have as that is the display. Your problem lies with the TV if you are disappointed then I suggest you change the TV as you will not get this function with any receiver.

FlT4ever

Novice Member
You guys are so defensive. I just said if I plug this device directly in the TV, I can stretch it no problem. How is that a TV problem? The problem only happens when if I have Denon in the middle.

if I plug this device in HDMI2 input on my TV and set to stretch, it goes full screen

I'm glad Denon detects 4:3, it means it's smart. But I, and a lot of other people would appreciate if we could have it full screen, legacy or not.

It's a 4k TV, if that matters.

gibbsy

It's not being defensive it's just stating a fact. I've had several Denon receivers, none of which have the ability to set aspect ratios to different inputs as there is only one (apart from a mirrored or zoned HDMI) and that output has to have a fixed ratio to match the TV. That includes high end models as well.

Your TV obviously has the ability to stretch the image which is what you want but the Denon is not detecting 4:3 it is simply passing a video signal through in that ratio as it is designed to do. You can then manually enforce as aspect change on the TV, as that is designed to do.

My old plasma had to have the aspect ratio changed by a button on the remote and my present OLED does it automatically presenting the images in their correct aspect ratio. I personally don't like stretched images, nothing worse than a fat James Taylor strutting around the stage.

FlT4ever

Novice Member
It's not being defensive it's just stating a fact. I've had several Denon receivers, none of which have the ability to set aspect ratios to different inputs

Then this is sufficient as an answer. The rest of everythinģ said is subjective and a matter of opinion, i never ask for.

I share your feeling about stretching 4:3 but my 4 year old prefers a fat Mario Bros.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom