Denon Blu ray players delayed until Q2 2008?

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Could this delay be linked to profile 1.1 at all??

Could this have anything to do with Paramount & Dreamworks decision ??

:confused:

BadAss

Banned
I doubt it has anything to do with Paramount I heard about Denons delay a few days ago. Unless some one tipped them off, but I doubt it.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
:D Sorry, my last post wasn't very clear.. I meant could Denon's delay be something to do with Profile 1.1 ?? Something not ready yet? Could this have delayed all next gen BR players, and hence the final straw for Paramount and Dreamworks?

:smashin:

Pecker

Distinguished Member
If they can't make a 1.1 compliant player for $2,000 over 6 months since its official announcement, what chance a sub-$400 model?

Are the delays here linked to the delays in a 1.1/PS3 announcement?

And finally, after waiting for 1.1 discs for approaching a year now, will the news that they're at least 7-10 months away pursuade any BD owners that they've already waited for too long?

Steve W

gandley

well considering they have delayed other equipment apart from just the BD players, then that should give you a clue. Notice on sites its being as reported as a delay for europe and perhaps not the the NA market.

If it was profile 1.1 issues why the hell would they delay the amps/prepro as well?

Think i read somewhere that the original source site have pulled the articule, so maybe there is no delay.

gandley

If they can't make a 1.1 compliant player for $2,000 over 6 months since its official announcement, what chance a sub-$400 model?

Are the delays here linked to the delays in a 1.1/PS3 announcement?

And finally, after waiting for 1.1 discs for approaching a year now, will the news that they're at least 7-10 months away pursuade any BD owners that they've already waited for too long?

Steve W

you just made that up didnt you:)

Pecker

Distinguished Member
If it was profile 1.1 issues why the hell would they delay the amps/prepro as well?

Because it's a new, matching set, based around the BD player?

Just a guess. But why would Denon release a pre-amp which decodes high def sound formats when their first high def player isn't ready?

So people can buy the new Denon amp and a Pioneer BD player?

As I say, just a guess.

Steve W

gandley

fair point

well im sure not everyone buying a denon amp wants a denon blu ray player.
But again thats if there is a delay. my guess is were going to get it later than the NA market.

One articule states it will no longer be the first player out with profile 1.1, so sombody is coming out with one.

No PIP titles annouced could be another reason (and i made that up as i have no clue either)

Adding HD-DVD would probaly be a smart move, and thus making it both BD live and a first true universal that would sell bucket loads after the recent events.

ani4ani

fair point

well im sure not everyone buying a denon amp wants a denon blu ray player.
But again thats if there is a delay. my guess is were going to get it later than the NA market.

One articule states it will no longer be the first player out with profile 1.1, so sombody is coming out with one.

No PIP titles annouced could be another reason (and i made that up as i have no clue either)

Adding HD-DVD would probaly be a smart move, and thus making it both BD live and a first true universal that would sell bucket loads after the recent events.

The dual format Samsung is 1.1 compliant, as stated in the inverview in Homecinemachoice magazine- they were interviewing one of the tech leaders and he is quoted in the magazine that the player is fully featured and compliant with Profile 1.1

dr no

Have my heart set on the Denon:)
The cheaper one without decoding as I'll get a receiver for that.

dr no

Nothing beats a well built machine.
I find the new machines all look cheap, excluding the very expensive ones.. Even some of the mid range ones have expansive fascia sellotaped to tin bodies.

Toshiba use to make some well built players back in early DVD years but they changed their main focus to cheap and cheerful for most of DVD life. I think the HD DVDs also look cheap (IMO). Each tot heir own I suppose

ani4ani

Nothing beats a well built machine.
I find the new machines all look cheap, excluding the very expensive ones.. Even some of the mid range ones have expansive fascia sellotaped to tin bodies.

Toshiba use to make some well built players back in early DVD years but they changed their main focus to cheap and cheerful for most of DVD life. I think the HD DVDs also look cheap (IMO). Each tot heir own I suppose

I know its all down to personal taste, but I think the current Panny looks the business as does their matching amp. The S300 looks pretty good in the flesh too. I never thought much of the E1, but it has grown on me - its not that bad imo

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
It's in HCC this month and there's two of them slated for November 07 in the UK. I don't know what's more surprising, us getting them a month after the Yanks, or HCC bringing us news of them PRIOR to their launch.:)

As well as the DVD-3800BD, is the DVD-2500BT which is described as a Blu Ray transport, requiring an suitably equipped amp to decode the HD audio bitstream over HDMI. There's no price for the 2500, but I think it's a step in the wrong direction with NO in player decoding at all of any audio.

Details are a touch sketchy though. Presumably the Denon UK site should have all the detail within a couple of months of the first ones being sold.:rolleyes:

Russell

Pecker

Distinguished Member
The dual format Samsung is 1.1 compliant, as stated in the inverview in Homecinemachoice magazine- they were interviewing one of the tech leaders and he is quoted in the magazine that the player is fully featured and compliant with Profile 1.1

Really?

There was an article link posted elsewhere at these forums where they said it wasn't - even to the point of updating the article to clarify the point.

Steve W

ani4ani

Really?

There was an article link posted elsewhere at these forums where they said it wasn't - even to the point of updating the article to clarify the point.

Steve W

Absolutely..100%..this is quoted directly in the magazine. In the original format wars thread, I quoted it word for word ..and this was also repeated again, I think it may have been Sonic67 or may have also repeated the quote. It was in the June Magazine. Being in the US, I can't look it out and repeat it.

All I can say is that the guy [from Samsung], who was being interviewed over 2-3 pages about their latest technology, is "quoted" In the same article and sentence he mentions a couple of interesting points..I have to paraphrase though,

"....we have fulfilled our obligation to the BDA by producing BD players....Dual format is what the cutomer wants....this player fully complies with the HDi requirements and is fully featured for Blu-ray interactivity, including 1.1....as will our next Blu-ray players.....we will continue to make standalone BD players as well as dual format players for at least another 2 years...."

gandley

perhaps samsung have had a rethink then, because my view was inline with peckers as far as the BD5000 and BD 2400 went. perhaps they change there mind?

Evidently the Denon 2500 does have the realta chip so it just adds more choice if you just spent huge wonga on a nice amp with internal decoding. no point buying two lots of hardware to do the same job i guess

ani4ani

perhaps samsung have had a rethink then, because my view was inline with peckers as far as the BD5000 and BD 2400 went. perhaps they change there mind?

Evidently the Denon 2500 does have the realta chip so it just adds more choice if you just spent huge wonga on a nice amp with internal decoding. no point buying two lots of hardware to do the same job i guess

Perhaps they have...but I haven't read anything that suggests that [not that that means it doesn't exist], but there is zero question that the article specifically states that it will...albeit that was back in June.

peterweg

Banned
The story has been pulled from AVZombie, its only source, so we can assume the Denon is NOT being delayed.

I posted this here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared...

gandley

The story has been pulled from AVZombie, its only source, so we can assume the Denon is NOT being delayed.

I posted this here yesterday but it seems to have disappeared...

Nah, i think you posted it in a different thread as i see it still there.

Grubert

The European launch of the Denon 3800BDCI has been delayed till 2008. This was confirmed to heise online by a Denon spokesperson for the German division, who also denied rumors that Denon had decided to go for a combo player in the wake of the Paramount/Dreamworks shift (though the production of such a device is not ruled out). The delay of the 3800BDCI is caused by 'technical reasons.' Denon gave no launch details for the rest of the world.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/94995

Anyone thinking of giving me s*** over linguistics and trying to drag me through the mud (you know who you are), please don't.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Grubert, thanks for that. :hiya:

I don't think anyone had any problem with what you translated previously - just the bits you didn't.

Google translates this article as:

The Japanese entertainment electronics manufacturer Denon shifts the European sales start of its first Blu ray Players DVD-3800BDCI on the coming year. This confirmed a press speaker of the German Dependance opposite heise on-line. With the model it should actually concern that world-wide first Blu ray Player, which already follows the BD-profile 1,1 and thus among other things parallel decoding controlled by two video stream for picture in display functions (for example video comments).

A concrete date, when the equipment is to come now on the German market, does not give it yet. The speaker contradicted however rumors that Denon would bring a Kombiplayer out for both Hp-Disc-formats after the shift of power in the fight for the DVD Formatnachfolge by the complete change of the Hollywood Studios Paramount and Dreamworks into the Hp-DVD-camp now directly. The fact that it will give such an equipment of Denon is however not improbable. The current delay has meanwhile reasons, which would lie in the technical range. A statement about the world-wide start of the Players could not make Denon Germany.

BTW, could you give us a decent (non-Google) translation of the bit in bold?

It appear to initially say they won't be releasing a combi-player, but then it says the release of one is 'not improbable'. I presume they mean this player isn't delayed because they're making it a combi, but that they might make a combi in future.

If it's delayed for 'technical reasons', surely that means a worldwide delay.

Steve W

Grubert

BTW, could you give us a decent (non-Google) translation of the bit in bold?

See my post above.

- The spokesperson denied rumors that Denon would put out a combo player after the balance of power in the successor to DVD had changed with the studios Paramount and Dreamworks siding now completely with HD DVD.

- However, it is 'not unlikely' that such a player might be produced

meltonboy

According to MeltonBoy http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5342536

If true I wonder why?

Will they refine the spec?......... or is a multi format player likely to arrive pretty soon now?

According to me ?? :eek:

As i said in the other post, saying that the european model has been postponed / delayed seems a bit over dramatic, since there was never any stated release date for this (as i recall the original announcement).

In terms of an overall delay, peterweg rightly pointed out that the avzombie article saying this was pulled from thier site.

Maybe denon will clarify the latest position during the IFA event ?

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom