Question Denon AVXR3500H - Causing Video Issues to Projector

spawnyjim

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After getting over my initial dumbness with connecting my system up I have enjoyed 4 days of glorious 4k.... Until today.

I have the Denon AVXR3500H which seems to be the cause when trying to view through my projector (Optoma UHD40). I can no longer watch Bluray/SkyQ or Apple TV through the AMP..... Each source gives the following:

SkyQ - I get the following: 'this display does not support HDCP. Try reconnecting HDMI or use a different screen'
BluRay - The projector sees the signal then goes into a constant loop saying source found then source not found.
Apple TV - The screen comes and goes constantly. I do have sound on this one.

I have connected the projector direct to each source and no issues. All also work from on my TV through the amp.....

Any ideas here at all please? I have disconnected all HDMI to try and get them to handshake again and also reset the AMP. Still no joy......

Thanks all,
Jim.

How is your projector connected to your amp? Type and length of HDMI cable?

Hi, connected via HDMI. I have a High Speed HDMI 2.0b cable 10m.

Have just found that if I unplug the TV from the AMP it all works ok?

Hi, connected via HDMI. I have a High Speed HDMI 2.0b cable 10m.

Have just found that if I unplug the TV from the AMP it all works ok?

10m is longer than what would be suggested for an HDMI cable. You are more likely to suffer dropouts the longer the cable is and HDMI org suggest not using cables longer than 8m and preferably shorter than 6. THis is expecially so if wanting to convey higher bandwidth UHD vide via such cables. In instances where a cable longer than 8m is required then it is suggested that HDMI over fibre be used to convey UHD video.

Is your TV HDCP 2.2 compliant? If not then that is why you fail to get anything via the PJ. Even if not in use, the HDMI interface onboard the TV still send back info to the source regarding the TV's capabilities. The only way to preven this would be to set the receiver to just its PJ HDMI output or to turn the TV off at the mains supply.

Ok cool thanks for the info although Im mega confused as to why it works ok if wither the TV i switched on or if the TV is disconnected from the AMP? Before I shell out £200 for a HDMI Fiber cable would be good to understand it a little more?

Ok cool thanks for the info although Im mega confused as to why it works ok if wither the TV i switched on or if the TV is disconnected from the AMP? Before I shell out £200 for a HDMI Fiber cable would be good to understand it a little more?

Your TV still sends info as to the TV's handling abilities back to a video source even when in standby. THe HDMI output on the receiver is still active and allowing that info to be sent back to the HDMI source the receiver is set to. The TV's capabilities are either less than those of the PJ or the TV's EDID is conflicting with that of your PJ? The EDID is the info regarding a devices HDMI handling abilities. Turning the TV off at the mains electricity would prevent this.

Ok thanks for the info. My understanding of HDMI doesn’t stretch too deep and still confused as to why everything works fine if the TV is either on or disconnected from the AMP. Everything works fine directly connecting to the projector although that’s only proving video.

I can actually reduce my cable run to 8m and actually 6m so have ordered both cables and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

Hmm, after a little more playing. I can get the projector working ok if i switch the tv on then turn it off again. I have to turn the tv back on if i want to change source on the amp.

Shorter HDMI should be here today so fingers crossed.

A Short ter cable is unlikely to resolve the issue. The issue is as I said to do with an EDID conflict between the PJ and the TV which caused the source to be confused anf unable to output a signal. A shorter cable may resolve signal dropouts, but is unlikely to resolve the EDID conflict.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom