Denon AVRX2600H + Xbox One X - Dolby Atmos Settings

i have a 2600h just swaped to none arc input monitor 2, i have atmose issue on both inputs. Fire tv 4k, xbox one s blue ray player both do not show atmos, both thow on display xbox multi in +dsur and dd+ +dsur. on firestick. it is very fustrating. only on plex does it have the atmos on the movie button but when selected it shows dd+ + dsur on denon display, i have my speakers set up as 2 front to back to midle cieling speakers a centre and a subwoofer. to me thats 5.1.2 havent changed cieling speakers to front hight cause they arent front speakers but i might try that. any sugestions?

i have a 2600h just swaped to none arc input monitor 2, i have atmose issue on both inputs. Fire tv 4k, xbox one s blue ray player both do not show atmos, both thow on display xbox multi in +dsur and dd+ +dsur. on firestick. it is very fustrating. only on plex does it have the atmos on the movie button but when selected it shows dd+ + dsur on denon display, i have my speakers set up as 2 front to back to midle cieling speakers a centre and a subwoofer. to me thats 5.1.2 havent changed cieling speakers to front hight cause they arent front speakers but i might try that. any sugestions?

Have you downgraded the firmware on the Denon ?

not yet it sounds silly but im just gona ge waiting for a digital download labeled atmos instead of 7.1 truehd and see if that does anything, im guessing not but after that i would have exausted anything i can think off exept downgrading firmware.
Do i reset to factory to do that?

sad thing is even with out atmos label i find the sound amazing lol. i though iit was atmos as i havent been looking at apm until now

Yes, just do a reset as per Phooo's instructions further up the thread.

Munchy22, Are you eating the same time as yoiur typring :D should concentrate on getting your word rightt and im order!!!

Your setup equates to what is referred to as 7.1 (more technically speaking 6.1 if you've only a solitary back surround). The minimum requirement for Atmos would be a 5.1.2 setup if using your receiver. This would be a setup consisting of a left and a right speaker, a centre speaker, 2 surround speakers and 2 Atmos effect speakers. The Atmos speakers can be height speakers located on your front wall, ceiling speakers located on the ceiling above you or upward firing speakers placed at the front of the room that attemprt to emulate ceiling speakers by bouncing their output off your ceiling.

A basic 7.1 setup such as the one you have cannot ordinarilly portrat Atmos and your receiver will not even acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata without you doing away with the solitary back surround speakers and adding 2 Atmos speakers.

DTS:X can be portrayed irrespective of the speakers present, but will not be exploited to its full 3D immersive potential without using additional height, ceiling or upward firing speakers.

There isthe option to use Height Virtualisation to create the effect of there being physical Atmos speakers present. THere's a SPEAKER VIRTUALIZER mode within the mode options.
You can use this when the sound mode is “Dolby Atmos”, “Dolby Surround” or sound mode that has “+Dolby Surround” in the sound mode name, but this mode is as yet not operational and is planned as a future update. You'd still be better off using actual physical Atmos speakers though.

Similary, the receiver also has a DTS Virtual:X mode. This is DTS’s proprietary virtual height and
virtual surround processing. It too will create virtual height speakers for setups devoid of physical height, ceiling or upward firing speakers. Again, you get better performance from actual physical speakers though.

All in all, you need at least a 5.1.2 speaker layout if you want access to and the ability to portray Atmos audio.

View attachment 1234889

View attachment 1234890

View attachment 1234891
i have the exact same issue but i have a denon 2600h and 5.1.2 setup and its super bugging me. on xbox the demos sound awsome that dolby provide so much so im sure its atmos but it never says atmos on the denon it says multi in. also pcm and dig in smallm squares are lite up. as im new to this i feel like i have nearly done all i can. even playing a 4k blue ray is multi on xbox

Munchy22, Are you eating the same time as yoiur typring :D should concentrate on getting your word rightt and im order!!!
soz i was tiered and im a terrible typist, spent 12 pm till 450 am trying to get atmos showing on denon and all i did was break my xbox and stop my pc accepting the projector as windows hdr mode lol.

i have the exact same issue but i have a denon 2600h and 5.1.2 setup and its super bugging me. on xbox the demos sound awsome that dolby provide so much so im sure its atmos but it never says atmos on the denon it says multi in. also pcm and dig in smallm squares are lite up. as im new to this i feel like i have nearly done all i can. even playing a 4k blue ray is multi on xbox

If it doesn't say Atmos on the receiver's display then what you are portraying isn't Atmos.

snapshot001.jpg

yep i understand what your saying. but let me give you a idea of what i have spend 4-6 hours today doing. trying 4 4k blue rays all atmos and all played via xbox one, with dolby app bought for 14 pounds for dolby atmost. I played the doobly atmos examples (6 or 8 of them) that dolby recomended i do after buy the app on a page they own on the xbox in the same place as the app and no atmost on any demo or movie(they all sounded like great atmost and not dd). i also took about 8 digital atmos videos (movies bought on internet)that work on my mated atmos setup and show on his cheaper 300 pound 2 year old denom.
I played them through koidi as was, as direct all through my denon 2600h and i also tried it with passthrough. that was on a windows pc that now has the dolby atmos app paid for too, that has the speakers selected and tested and configured as 7.1(no option for 5.1.2 but guessing software and hardware know that). all linked to a projector the uuhd51. 4k hdr has been perf4ect and ive had no issues with hdr exept kodi but atmos doesnt apear on any thing i throw at it even it its atmost. im gona flash the firmware tomorrow but i was hopweing someone could tell me whats happening and whats wrong. i find it funny that another guy has the exact same issue exept i have tried it on fire stick 4k which i now know doesnt suport atmos, so all good their, my pc and xbox does and no atmos.
Strangely the audio called muti in on denim on the dolby site that was their official try these dude. it really did sound as good(good is a under exageration, it sounded amazing) as they did at a friends house and he has way better speakers, so maybe atmos is working but there a fault with the 2600h. and lets be honest here the x2600h is great but its not the quality i was lead to believe. i had bugs day one, after last update going to the seting menu while playing hdr content kicks hdr off and i have to swap hdmis 2 times to get it back, luckly i now have the eq on a harmony button so dont need to do that too much. I think firmware lol

The last thing i am going to try is set xbox bit stream up and see what happens. im a idiot but someone mentioned it so hey.
Remember i am old and stupid so any help would be appreciated. that is anything other than its just not atmos if its not showing. If im doing something wrong id love to find out.

Last edited:
If it doesn't specifically say Atmos on the receiver's dsplay then you are not processing or portraying Atmos.

Even if the Atmos metadata is being conveyed (streamed) to the AV receiver in conjunction with multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT, the AV receiver would still indicate that the Atmos metadata had been detected and was being processed by diplaying the word Atmos on the receiver's front panel display.

Go into the receiver's GENERAL setup configurations and look at the AUDIO INFORMATION. THis will tell you exactly what audio the receiver is receiving .

ok i simply changed xbox resolution from 1080p and 120hz to 4k and 60hz and the blu ray player now sends atmos to my denon. its a good step forward. maybe the 120hz was casueing a issue.

If it doesn't specifically say Atmos on the receiver's dsplay then you are not processing or portraying Atmos.

Even if the Atmos metadata is being conveyed (streamed) to the AV receiver in conjunction with multichannel PCM using Dolby MAT, the AV receiver would still indicate that the Atmos metadata had been detected and was being processed by diplaying the word Atmos on the receiver's front panel display.

Go into the receiver's GENERAL setup configurations and look at the AUDIO INFORMATION. THis will tell you exactly what audio the receiver is receiving .
thks ill try that

thks ill try that
Hi,

firmware downgrade should fix the issue as it did for me and others on this thread. Not sure if it's the xbox as blueray plays atmos but not netflix etc which is strange, so it's only some xbox apps not working with current denon firmware not xbox . But the denon firmware returned to shipped should sort it . Only down side I have found is no free spotify with older denon firmware through heos .

Save /load your settings or you will need to set up again

Good luck

What Phooo said.

If you don't downgrade the Denon firmware you will not get Atmos working though games and apps. No amount of changing settings on Xbox/Amp/PC will resolve this issue.

Yes I agree with the above, I have exactly the same setup 5.1.2 and downgrading the firmware worked. What I have found rather odd it that only sometimes the dolby front atmos speakers disable and then simply pressing the setup button then coming out again fires them up do this just could be an anomaly with the old firmware also. Still waiting for Denon to get back in touch with a resolution and a new firmware update as I have not heard anything since last weeks post. Our amps are not even listed on the current firmware updates either probably because they are so new!

learned alot so far.
1) if on a windows device buy dolby access and atmoss for 14 pounds uk:) its a small thing but simple to overlook if your a newby and searching forums.

1) hdr on netflix on xbox one change vieo setting to enhanced.

3) reseting firmware like po and others mentioned and it fixed Netflix on xbox one s.(big thkS)
Shame plex doesnt suport windows store.
id use xbox exclusively as my media box if it did.
4)truehd sound is not atmos lol, but its dam fine. Make sure digital content is atmos.\

5)love my firestick but atmos is only displayed as dolby digital plus, which is like good 5.1 but poor when compared to atmos or multi in on denons.

Id like to add 6 being buy a shield tv but ive yet to buy opne and yet to see if plex, netflix prime will display atmos properly. Ill put 6 down here when it comes. my bigest tip to newbys using windows is 1) also gonce you have set up app on windows 10 co to the speaker icon and right click for atmos option.

Still working on things but the internet hasnt made it easy with so many differing and confusing voices.
I did reset amp denon 2600 but thats not same as firmware roll back and it fixed a issue i had tith options menu. before i went in options selected eq or something else then leaving the hdr would be brokken. i would then have to change hdmi2 to 1 and back to 2 on projector to get hdr back. a reset fixed this. But in chanell assign i can no longer name my inputs to my choice of names cause they are invisible and are no longer showing, so fix one thing another breaks. not impressed with denon at this stage. Not from a software point of view. still maybe this rollback will have me smiling again. audio wise very impressed with denon, i just didnt expect these sort of issues with something that is not cheap.

Last edited:
does anyone else have the issue to get netflix to play in 4k i have to select 2nd monitor for it to work on the x2600

Hi all. Same problem here. Just bought this model and having the multi in instead of atmos. Lat week with my old receiver denon 3200w, didn´t have that problem at all, so as you said it is a denon´s firmware problem. I think that I am going to wait till a new update to see if they solve the problem. Nevertheless I will report this problem to denon´s support to push a little bit.

Hi, I reported this to Denon support about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back at all. Poor support from them IMO. I've reported this a few times and added more comments about no reply from them. thanks.

Hello, Finally a reply from Denon about this problem below I'd like to share with you, I've just been waiting nearly 4 weeks!

Thanks, AVF..

Response By E-mail (Sound United Support) (27/01/2020 11:59)
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us.

Further to your query, firmware for this unit can be updated over the internet. Should you wish to update, please do so through the receiver or we can also provide the file, if required. However, Microsoft is aware and is working on a update so we wouldn't recommend updating the firmware, as that will cause issues with Xbox and Atmos.

Should you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sound United Support

thanks for the info, but there´s something I don´t quite understand. They don´t recommend update which device? If microsoft is working on a update, does it mean that it’s a problem with the xbox?. So if I remain with the latest denon´s firmware without making the downgrade, and wait for the xbox update, will the problem be solved?.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
There are 2 different kinds of codec for the way it works - Denon updated theirs and Microsoft hasn’t yet. I have no idea about anything beyond that and why MS haven’t updated.
It’s a PITA as I got some decent BT headphones for Christmas and have to have either Atmos or wired HP at the minute :facepalm:

thanks for the info, but there´s something I don´t quite understand. They don´t recommend update which device? If microsoft is working on a update, does it mean that it’s a problem with the xbox?. So if I remain with the latest denon´s firmware without making the downgrade, and wait for the xbox update, will the problem be solved?.

Kind regards.

What it means is make sure your Denon is up to date with the latest firmware until MS release their update. If you downgrade your firmware then it may cause problems with any future update that MS provide. thanks.

There was an update for the Dolby access app today. I thought it would be the codec update so that atmos works. Unfortunately not. Still the same result. It’s a shame. Hopefully they’ll sort it at some point.

Hi, just wanted to inform you that I finally got a reply too, related to this bug (sorry but it´s in spanish):

Atención Cliente Denon <[email protected]>
Vie 31/01/2020 16:15

Buenas tardes:

Gracias por su información, hemos transmitido a Denon la incidencia para la estudien y corrijan si fuera necesario.

Atentamente
Dpto. Atención a Clientes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom