• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon avr4311 vs Onkyo NR808 vs Marantz 7005

gmoney1404

Standard Member
Hi,

I need to replace my Onkyo 895 as my son threw liquid over it. Now I am stuck between Denon avr4311 vs Onkyo NR808 vs Marantz 7005. I have a pair of Monitor Audio GS20 gold signatures, Monitor CLR bronze centre, RSw12 8 inch sub and Monitor Audo rear r90 satelites.

I do not have 3D TV so I don't care too much about these features to include the IPHONE connectivity / Network as these are a "nice to have". Really its more about the Music for me. The Onkyo was fine for movies if anything i thought that it was under powered with the music especially the low bass frequency. Now I have the option of Denon avr4311 vs Onkyo NR808 vs Marantz 7005 amps and I am unsure which one to go for. If 1 had $100 I would spend 65-70$ for music and 35-40$ for home theater and movies. Can anyone help please as I am, not sure what to fgo for. All the shop owners tell me a different story.

Last edited:

gmoney1404

Standard Member
To add I would liek the ability to have phono out. I know with the Marantz you will need to buy a Phono cartridge but thats fine.

dante01

Distinguished Member
None of these amps are directly comparable and they are all from different classes (price brackets). You can't compare them directly and the Denon will obviously win out over the Marantz and the Marantz in turn will win over the lesser Onkyo. Why not compare similarly priced and direct;y comparable amps from the 3 manufacturers?

Last edited:

gmoney1404

Standard Member
Ah ok I must of been mistaken as I thought these are comparable, What is comparable to the Denon 4311 from these manufactures then? Basically my Onkyo avr 895 is being replaced from my insurance company. They have said the Denon 4311 is what they will give unless I provide another amp around the same price. They quoted me $4300 Australian dollar AUD for the denon and the Onkyo is $4000 AuD so they are around the same price - as told. I have not checked out the price of the Marantz yet but was recommened it from a Hi Fi dealer. So I have around a budget of around 4300 AUD dollar and can pay a bit out of my pocket if need be for a great amp that will meet my needs.

gmoney1404

Standard Member
As I only have 5.1 sound can the denon bi-amp the fronts for when I listen to music in stereo to give more power. Also Is there the possibility to add in a power amp?

dante01

Distinguished Member
As I only have 5.1 sound can the denon bi-amp the fronts for when I listen to music in stereo to give more power. Also Is there the possibility to add in a power amp?

All the amps mentioned can do this.

Can't comment on the Australian prices, but in the UK the DEnon would set you back nearly £2000, double the price of an Onkyo TXNR808 at £1000 and the Marantz would cost you about £1400.

If you've the option then forget the Onkyo and look at the Marantz or the Denon. They both out gun the TXNR808. The DEnon is particularly good value for money if you can get it for the price you state?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom