1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR3805 - can you switch the front speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by spl23, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I've got an AVR 2805, but now I've upgraded my 3910 to Denon Link 3rd, I'm itching to upgrade to a 3805. (I think I've just about convinced myself I need one for the inbuilt HDCD decoder, which should work with the lossless compressed HDCDs on my media server.)

I was just browsing through the 3805 manual on the web, and I noticed that there was no switch on there to switch between front speakers A / B / A+B - there seems to be a button to switch the surround speakers on and off, but nothing to switch the fronts.

Is it possible to select only front speakers A or only front speakers B on this amp? If so how? The 2805 does this - I'd be surprised if the 3805 doesn't, and it would be a flaw from my point of view.

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    There is no 'A/B' switch on 3805's. It seems to be the compromise they have come to in order to have 3 zones. I bi-wired my old Sony using the A+B position it had. I was surprised the Denon did not have similar functionality.

3. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Oooh - that's unfortunate. I presume that the 3805 is the same as the 2805 in that digital signals aren't output to the remote zones, so I couldn't just run the second set of speakers off Zone 2 without adding analogue connections from the DVD player and media server in addition to the digital connections?

One thing that does occur to me on reading the manual is that there are two switchable rear surround pairs - there may be a workaround involving setting the amp to 5.1 stereo mode, which sends the front signals both the front and rear surrounds, and then using the remote zone speakers as, say surround pair B. Given that any multiroom stuff is stereo by definition, I think that might work, especially with a suitable remote macro - but it's a damn sight less convenient than being able to switch front speakers directly. How many people have room for different surround speakers for music and for movies, anyway?

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The 2805 has front A B switch wereas the 3805 it is surround A B. So you can heve a set for films and another for DVD-A or SACD. This is set in the setup menu.

Nothing to do with zones at all.

You need no more room for two sets of surrond then you do for two sets of fronts, just at different ends of the room.

5. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Ummm - most people who have two sets of front speakers have them in two *different* rooms! That's largely the point...

6. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No the point of front A B is one for Stereo one for Film, They share the same amplifier stage hence it recommends 12 ohm speakers if a and b are used togther

7. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I'm really not convinced by that. If, indeed, the idea is that people use two different sets of front speakers in the same room, what would be the sense in removing this functionality and replacing it with the ability to switch between two different sets of surround speakers? On most source material, the majority of the sound comes from the fronts (and centre) - why would Denon throw away the ability to make a large difference (i.e. switching between two sets of front speakers) but replace it with the ability to make a far smaller difference by switching surrounds? That makes no sense.

Front speakers A and B have always been intended for use in separate rooms - that dates from well before the idea of playing movies through your hi-fi had even been dreamed of! Denon have presumably removed this on the basis that you can use the multizone capabilities instead - unfortunately, the fact that you can't send digital sources to the remote zones makes this nigh-on useless in most systems nowadays, where pretty much every source is digital.

8. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah but at this price point it could be expected that you are running a decent set of speakers that can do both films and music, its just the surround were you could have dipoles for films a normal set which are directional like the front which is better for music.

9. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I stand corrected! :D