1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR3801 vs new AVR3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Costas, Feb 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    When the AVR3802 came out the only change was the addition of Dolby Prologic 2. Now that the 3803 is out people and specs talk about a number of improvements.

Last weekend my friend and neighbour got the 3803. While he was waiting for some other pieces of equipment he was kind enough to let me try it against my 3801.

I tried hard to go into details and try DVD Dolby Digital and DTS material, DVD-A, SACD and CD Stereo. Even a high reference AR audiophile turntable was connected. Various sound material and formats. Low and high volumes. Well perhaps the only very small difference I could spot is a slightly fuller sound on standard CD!

Apart from a few more optical and coaxial inputs, DP2, very few extra watts of output power can anyone highlight what is truly better with the 3803 that is not as obvious to me? Has anyone run any tests like this one here? I will be very much interested in your comments.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I am still looking for a dealer where I can audition a 3803 here in Taipei but I probably won't compare it to the 3801.
    I expect the differences in sound to be subtle but the main "improvements" are the added features like video conversion etc.

If only that (the added features) qualifies it as being better might be an issue to be discussed. :lesson:

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Reiner

Good point if it all relates to video precessing. I did not feed any video signals through it. I use a Pioneer PDP-433HDE plasma screen with the dedicated media receiver where all component, RGB and S-video connections are made.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 3803 has a master audio delay as well to help avoid lip-synch problems caused by video processing for prog scan and the like. you'd normally have to pay £2,000 to get a receiver with that on.

5. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    James 45, thats one of the main reasons I'm going for this amp.

Tim

6. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The audio delay was my prime reason for upgrading to this Amp. I use the Video upconversion as well but I could have lived without this.

As far as the audio features are concerned I also wanted to upgrade to Dolby PLII although having listened to it there's not that much improvement over Neo:6.

You also get the new Pure Direct mode which switches off the display to give you better sound :rotfl: ... well, to be fair, it does a little bit more than this and does give a very slightly better sound than Direct...I think.

The inserts in the speaker terminals are more difficult to prise out than they were on the 3801. I broke most of these little bits of plastic getting them out. Apparently the reason why they bung up the holes is to stop silly people from plugging mains appliances into them. Of course if we could convince our European cousins to use proper 13 Amp plugs then we wouldn't have this issue :rotfl:.

You get a new bigger remote control with more buttons.:)
    You get a new remote control with a pathetically small Mute button. :confused:
    You get a new remote control with a smaller LCD display.:confused:

Overall it is a better Amp. However, if you already have a 3801 or a 3802 and you do not need the master audio delay or video upconversion I don't think it would be worth upgrading. In my case the lip sync issues were driving me nuts. Now that I've got the 3803 it's peace at last. :clap:

Derek

7. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    DJP and other friends..

Thank you for your comments. I did not try the master audio delay which appears to be the main key feature of improvement.
    I will check it further. Also, when I said CD was a little better it was using the Pure Direct mode as DJP highlighted..

8. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Does anyone know which dealers have the 3803 in the UK?

9. DJP

DJP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  10. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there another component you can buy if you have a system with lip sync problems and your amp doesn't support audio delay?

Taimur

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. Lexicon DC-1, DC-2, MC-1, MC-5, MC-12. Tag Mclaren AV32.

:D

12. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's got to be something cheaper out there than that! Like a delay black box (just like there are scalers, deinterlacers, video upconvertors, etc), no?

Taimur