1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon avr2805 - volume level problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Godvrey, Jul 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I just set up my new avr2805 and would like some feedback from other denon owners regarding volume levels

My system is set up with 2 front channel speakers only, bi-wired into the speaker A terminals. All other surround channels and subwoofer are configured to be 'off' or not present.

The volume control seems to start at -80Db, and what i'm finding is that I need to turn it all the way up to -35Db in order to get a reasonable listening volume. Anything below -45Db and I can't hear much at all.

Question is simply - 'is this normal?????????' I would have thought given the power output rating that the volume would kick in sooner.

I've checked speaker wiring and it all looks fine. No distortion and i'm listening in pure direct so no eq settings invoked - I just don't have the feeling that the amp is very powerful, which I know is round cause when I listenend in the showroom it nearly blew my head off!

Any help much appreciated

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Thats about right. Mine is pleasant to listen to (tv) at around -35. I have had it up to -15 for music sources at times but that is loud! Remember dB's are logarithmic, so small adjustments lower down then it all comes with a rush at the end! Quite normal for a volume control configured that way.

3. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for that. I checked with a friend of mine who has a 2105 and he said his is the same too, so I guess it's part of the way the Denon's are configured as you suggested.

4. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Sounds right to me too. There's also a variation when you set up the speaker settings. The default is zero and after the auto set up my fronts are about +6db and rears at +4db (i then boosted the centre by an extra +1db). Bearing that in mind i'm at about -40db to -30db for two channel stuff and down do -30/-20db for 5 channel.

When i demo'd the gear i took it to zero and that was louder than i'm every likely to go. It had plenty more....

5. Godvrey

Godvrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, given what you've said above, then i'm still not sure. The channel levels are set at 0dB, and for movies I need to turn the level up to -10dB to get a good volume. That's not particularly 'thunderous' either, and I don't feel it gives a whole lot of manouvering more output considering the max is +18 and my room is small. For 2 channel music i'm on about -20 for fairly loud. I don't know. Perhaps i'm going deaf or something - it's quite probable considering the volume I set my mp3 player at to drown out the noise of the tube in the mornings.....:)