1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon avr2802 or Marantz 5300? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by silentbob, Jul 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Help me out here??!? I've been spending far too much time on the web searching for my ideal amp upgrade - and I think I finally settled on either the Marantz 5300 or the Denon AVR2802 (although I'm now suffering from net lag).

Its always nice to get bit of perspective, so which would you go for as both are similar prices? I have heard both, but not with my speaker setup.

My speakers: Mission 773e (front), B&W CC6 (centre), Aegis EVO compacts (rear).

I'm off to bed now. :boring:

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    IMO the marantz is the one to go for, heard both and decided on the marantz cos it sounded alot better in stereo and seemed more dynamic in movie mode.
    Also looks great in Gold finish.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ricky 27 - the Marantz looks great in the gold finish, but build quality of this (and indeed an increasing number of marantz products) is questionable - if it's aethetics you're after i'd opt for the Gold 2802 every time.
    Sound quality the Marantz swings it - and by a considerable margin too.

4. silentbob

silentbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bugger, I was all set to grab the 2802 too. :) Anyone else? I'd be really interested to hear what any of you think. Getting close to hole burning in pocket time!

I'll be honest, I found it difficult to make a judgement with the limited time a demo offers. Both impressed, but without days to try different films out etc. I found it hard to pick. So any information owners of these amps can give me will help.

Thanks once again.

5. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the Marantz 5300 (black) & it sounds fantastic !

Using it mainly for stereo music (B&W 601s3 fronts), but it does an admirable job with surround.

There is no question at all about build quality - it's well screwed together & has given no problems.

It's down to personal preference, but opinions favour Denon for movies & Marantz for music.

6. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard both and the Marantz gets my vote too!

7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I have to agree with pentode, build quality on my 5300 is superb, very solid and had a great feel to it.
    Dials are very smooth.Fascia made from brushed alluminium as are the dials. I fail to see how you can get any more solid than that!
    Only thing i dont like is the crap remote, but i use a pronto so i dont use it anyway.

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I demoed the 5200 and 2802 about a year ago and felt the 5200 was better by quite a way, especially for music playback. The Denon had an 'edge' which I just didn't like.

In the end I bought a Sony 1080 which I though was the equal of the Marantz for music but far better for movies. Sold it now and ready to take delivery of a Rotel 1055. It never ends.

9. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    5300 gets my vote sound is great. Have no problems with the build on this one or my mono-blocks, My first 5300 had an issue in EX mode but it was swapped no problem.