Question Denon AVR2113 Purple video corruption

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by georged79, Jun 28, 2015.

Tags:
  1. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an irritating colour corruptiopn coming from something in my AV setup. I have had a Denon AVR2113 since Xmas 2012. I have moved all my AV to a new cabinet which has less air space than the previous open air shelf it was on.

It now seems that it is after a while causing video colour corrupton such that the video output turns predominantly purple. To cure this, I can change the HDMI input on my TV away from the Denon input, and then back, and it is resolved until it goes again. This fix suggests to me that it might not be the Denon receiver. However, I ran without the Denon operating for two weeks, and the issue never happened. When the Denon is active, this discolouration will occur after an hour perhaps.

As well as the colour going, sometimes the audio will go strange. Sometimes with the purple, and sometimes not. These occasional issues are always the hardest to diagnose.

Any ideas what to look at as being the culprit. It could be many parts of my system.

My system is a Sky 2tb feeding the Denon, and via passthru to a Panasonic LED TV.

Help very much appreciated.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    This sounds like a hdmi handshake issue... I have a lcd TV and Humax Foxsat-HDR combo that will go 'purple and green' depending on the precise order the two devices are switched on... changing TV to any other source and back to hdmi causes a re-negotiation and all is fine again... until next switch on. (Hdmi on the Foxsat is notoriously slightly flakey)

It's possible that the AVR overheating is causing a hdmi interruption within the AVR and presenting like this... Equally it could be as simple as a poorly seated or damaged hdmi cable that causes the issue.

Changing hdmi cables is one option... relocating the AVR back in the open (more ventilation) may also 'prove' something?

3. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Rodders,

When I was reading around, I was getting the impression of HDMI cable issue potentially.

I will try another cable. I will also try a fan on the open cupboard. Relocating is a ball ache, but I do think that overheating could well be the issue.

The unit was operated with the door on the cupboard open over the weekend, but still the issue remained. Clearly the additional airflow wasn't enough.

4. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,175
    It's unlikely to be the cable, but try it. I've seen that happen on a Pace Sky box, faulty HDMI board in the box, it's likely to be the Denon.

5. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would you reckon that if it's the Denon that cooling may resolve, or could it be time to try the extended warranty?

6. Rock Danger

Rock Danger
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,175
    I think once they're gone, they're gone, cooling it isn't going to work on what's likely a progressive fault - if it only happens when it gets hot then it's probably a dry joint, but it could also be a botched chip, there's no way to know. If it has warranty then by all means use it.

7. georged79

georged79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Credit to Richer Sounds. They have taken it in for repair. Fingers crossed in a few weeks it'll be fixed. And they have me a loan unit to keep everything simple at home.