1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR2105 Mordant Short Premier Plus Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lungoes, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Lungoes

Lungoes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My question. I have just recently purchased a Denon AVR2105 to go with my existing Mordant Short Premier Plus speaker system, this being coupled digitally (optical) to a Sony RDR-GX300 DVD recorder. (Replacing old Technics AV Amp with Pro Logic 50watts per channel x5)

The volume output is really low thru these speakers when watching a movie with DTS/Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic modes (tried all the possible modes and settings almost having to run the unit at 80% volume to make it comfortable listening (and i'm not deaf) 100% flatout still isn't loud!. Although using playing cd's from the same source DVD recorder via optical isn't so much of a problem. its got more oomph!!, But to me this doesn't sound like 90 watts per channel

Also Using the preout phonos from a Sony Nicam TV set directly into the Denon via Aux/TV and selecting any of the modes produces naff volume results.....

So.. Is it that Movie Soundtracks are lower in volume when using digital devices ie DTS/Dolby Digital compared to analogue? or does Dolby Pro Logic II take a huge lump of the volume in the sound processing? or is it simply mismatch of speaker ohm's, cos my previous Technics AV Amp made these speakers dance compared to this Denon in Dolby modes?

Help would be grateful for a newbie!

2. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi

I have a Denon 2805 with the same speakers, although mine are marantz badged and I have the 308 sub, when listening to dvds I have found I have to turn the volume up more but at -30 its loud enuff, especially when you have small child asleep upstairs. I tried listening to last fight scene in Spiderman with the goblin the other day and cranked her up to -10 and WOW, it was LOUD,
    If your going higher than this then I would think you have something set wrong, maybe speakers are out of phase.

3. Lungoes

Lungoes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thanks for replying, Have checked the speakers they are not out of phase. but good thought.

As you say the volume is load enough, I'm watching movies im my lounge not the albert hall, but it supprised me that there is such different volumes from different disc types from the same player ie the Sony DVD recorder via digital hook up. and that the Dolby Pro Logic modes zaps so much of the available power from the speakers. My setup is at 90 watts, I know your Denon model has more power. But i have to run my system at between -15 - 0 or even plus decibells to make it feel alive. (thats almost 100%)

Thats why i wondered if the impedance of these speakers match the denon comfortably. or i'm just asking too much from this config and or bought a duffer?

Otherwise Happy newbie with First Dolby System. well almost. lol.

Thanks again in advance.......

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Do you have another, or could you borrow another DVD Player just to make sure your GX isn't doing something dodgy with it's digital out. As it doesn't really sound right, the difference between discs souldn't be much at all.

Have you got anoloauge 5.1 out from the GX and equivalent in's on the amp, as this would also be a good thing to try.

How big is your room, as the speaker/amp might not be able to fill you room.

Have you tried "toe'ing" in your speakers to your listening possition.

And finaly, do you have the speakers behind anything? I know it's a silly question but if you've put them beind a curtain or something that would effect things.

5. Lungoes

Lungoes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah got another DVD player I could try, Its a 18 month old philips one with Digital optical and coaxal and also a the six pre-separated phonos channels. Yep will try that tonight.

So its simply not a problem with the speaker impedance, this amp is rated at 6-12ohms fronts and rear and 6-16 center. the speakers are rated 4-8ohms?

And in your opinion does playing sound thru Dolby Pro Logic II modes likley to reduce the volume from digital or analogue sources compared to Direct 2.1 Channel Dolby?

And would the fact that my volume level when using analogue inputs indicate that the pre-level out on my sony TV is not high enough?

Thats Technology for you!!

Thanks in advance.

6. Lungoes

Lungoes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry the room is 6 x 2.5 metres and the speakers are not hidden behind curtains. seating positions are approx 2.5 metres from each speaker.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678