Denon AVR1912 surround speakers out of phase

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by naxtek, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. naxtek

naxtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Had my Denon AVR-1912 for about a month now driving my 2 year-old Roth Oli 3s in stereo only.

I just got 2 Roth Oli 10s to use as rear speakers.

So I used the auto calibration microphone to set everything up.

First of all, it said 'WARNING: Out of phase! L+R Surround'. I have double and triple checked all wiring, and everything is correct. Nothing is connected wrong. So I proceeded anyway.

Secondly, the surround speakers were auto calibrated to be about +3db, and the fronts about -2db, which doesn't seem right at all because that made the rears disproportionately louder than the front. Because of this, I reset all speaker channel levels to 0db, but the rears still seem louder than the front. If I have music on in stereo multi channel (I know you wouldn't normally do this, but I thought it would let me check out the levels) then even if you sit quite close to the front speakers, it sounds like the rears are louder. Is that normal? Why did the auto set up pump up the rears so much?!

Thanks,
    Andrew

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    Check the instrument in a room where you are reasonably sure the speakers will be wired correctly.

An unlikely possibility exists, that there is a phase reversal in the amplifier (internal) wiring - OR - the "phase" button is incorrectly set.....even less likely - the source material is incorrectly phased . . . . have you tried setiing the system to "Mono" so all speakers should be in-phase.

BTW what happens if you change the wiring phase, does the instrument read "OK"?

Fr/rear - - - are they the same speakers? Is it possible your rear speakers are more-efficient?. . . .try swapping them for the front - (ie alone) to see which set to use for "front". Then put the others at the back . . . . FWIW.

3. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    This happens more regularly than you might think.

If your'e happy that the speaker connections are correct,then 9 times out of 10 its a false report and you can ignore it.

I'll move this to the Denon Forum.I'm sure that other members will confirm this.

Good luck,

K.

4. naxtek

naxtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Kubby. Hopefully someone here can help. I've searched and I've found a fair few people reporting similar problems but the advice seems to be conflicting and confusing.

12harry - not sure what you mean by checking the instrument in a room where I'm reasonably sure the speakers are wired correctly? I have checked and tested the wiring and all speakers wires go + to +, and - to -. I am 100% sure of this.

As per my original post, the fronts are Roth Oli 3 floorstanders from their "old" range (you can no longer get them, I picked them up cheap in Costco on clearance a year or two ago) and the rears are brand new Roth Oli 10 bookshelf speakers.

If the speakers were out of phase what would be the effects? Is there any manual check I can do? Is there any harm in purposefully reversing the wiring on the rears?

Thanks,
    Andrew

5. naxtek

naxtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bump... Anyone?

6. naxtek

naxtek
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well that's odd. Just added a centre channel speaker (a Cambridge Audio S50 as Roth don't do a centre any more, and the one they used to do is too big to go where I want it) and re-ran the calibration and this time everything is fine.

I did it 3 or 4 times before I added the centre and it always said the rear speakers were out of phase :S

7. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +377
    naxtek - I meant what I said, but I can elaborate:
    Take the instrument to a friends whose system is not any bother and you can be reasobaly sure it is correctly wired. . . . this should show the instrument is correct.

I can believe some "false" readings due to standing waves, reflections etc. - - - - but I assume OP has tried moving it about. If he has access to a friends set-up (or a hi-fi shop?) . . . he can check if it does give false readings, e.g. close to walls.

As far as checking the wiring, I will accept you have checked it and it appears satisfactory - what I was saying is that you can't believe the markings . . . . and the possibility of a reversal somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  8. sutton8

sutton8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    It gives a message saying that the auto calibration may give incorrect phase readings and to skip onwards if you are sure. It reports 3 of my speakers as out of phase when they clearly are not. I use the audyssey to measure the distances and then a soundmeter to set the levels. Only a cheap 40 quid meter from Maplins but it gave a far superior and very different result than the audyssey.