Denon AVR1912 - Owner's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew K

Ex Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the new Denon AVR 1912 yet. We've just hooked one up in our demo room but I'm interested in anyone else's opinions.

Picked one up over the weekend. Took the plunge as needed something reasonable priced and feature rich to replace an ageing AVC-A1SE in a downsized room. Still tinkering but first impressions are positive. Obviously not as sonically proficient as the A1...but am enjoying playing about with the Audessey aspects.

Hey guys

I'm interested in this receiver, still tryign to find out though if it has as feature
Audyssey MultiEQ or MultiEQ XT

Every other website claims something else, in denon.fr and us specs says MultiEQ while on the uk website it claims to have MultiEQ XT
which makes sense as i dont think they intend to release in europe a 2112 or a 2312

please lemme know as it's an important factor for me

and how are your overlall other impressions about it?

simc84 said:
Hey guys

I'm interested in this receiver, still tryign to find out though if it has as feature
Audyssey MultiEQ or MultiEQ XT

Every other website claims something else, in denon.fr and us specs says MultiEQ while on the uk website it claims to have MultiEQ XT
which makes sense as i dont think they intend to release in europe a 2112 or a 2312

please lemme know as it's an important factor for me

and how are your overlall other impressions about it?

Hi. It has MultiEQ XT....from the short time I've had to experiment with it, I'm pleased. It has a good set of features for the price. It does seem to make a difference where you place your mic. I have found I get a better sound when clustering the 8 readings.

Just picked mine up today. It's replacing a 1910. Not played with it too much but the menu is much improved and the Audyssey set up seems much quicker than with the 1910. Setting up Airplay next and then watching Tron 3D.

hey

Quantum UK , can you confirm it really has MultiEQ XT and not
MultiEQ?
As i wanna place my order today as well

Thanks

I can confirm that the 1912 does have MultiEQ XT which includes 8 measurement positions. This will provide higher filter resolutions for your speakers, as opposed to the standard MultiEQ ( which still is great! )

I have just received mine a few days ago. Been having a play. Seems easy to work with. Not as complicated as a few people have told me it might be. I have just been listening to music via Airplay. Easy and convenient to use as well. I have not been disappointed with anything at all yet. Has anyone taken advantage of bi-wiring speakers with this receiver yet?

hey, still waiting for my unit

some people mentioned this unit has GREAT sound in movies and games

but in music listening it has very poor presets comparing to pioneer 1021 and onkyo 609 , can anyone confirm this? caus ei was thinking multieqxt could do a great job here even for music

I have brand new speakers hooked up to my 1912 so I probably couldn't really say. All of the reviews I came across regarding comparisons with the 1021 and the 609 favoured the 1912 for sound quality. I haven't played around with the settings much seeing as I have to run in my speakers for a little while but the system sounds great.

I've had my 1912 for two days and already had a couple of problems. It has no sound when first switched on, which then needs turned off and then back on again to get any sound. Maybe it's a setting I've missed but it looks like a bug.

Also when in the network settings, it froze and no button presses on the remote would work and no buttons on the unit itself would respond and it needed the power cord yanked from the wall. :thumbsdow

Not impressed and I may well send it back.

I've had my 1912 for two days and already had a couple of problems. It has no sound when first switched on, which then needs turned off and then back on again to get any sound. Maybe it's a setting I've missed but it looks like a bug.

Also when in the network settings, it froze and no button presses on the remote would work and no buttons on the unit itself would respond and it needed the power cord yanked from the wall. :thumbsdow

Not impressed and I may well send it back.

i have had a 1912 for a day now ,and this morning the sound issue reared its ugly head!! exact same thing as yours,it does it every time its put into standby,needless to say its going back !! i was looking at replacing it with an onkyo 609 until i found out it didnt have airplay(found this great on the denon),so i really dont know what to go for at the moment

I was strongly considering purchasing the AV1912 this weekend. Is the bug you talk about a known issue? Would it be coverd under warranty?

I've had my 1912 for a few weeks now. I haven't had the problem yet. I've had the odd problem with Airplay but, that is just with certain tracks. Quality or file issue or something. Other than that I haven't had a problem at all. I listen to music, watch movies and play games. I find it annoying that the volume is different for pretty much every input. Overall my experience with the unit is great.

I was strongly considering purchasing the AV1912 this weekend. Is the bug you talk about a known issue? Would it be coverd under warranty?
A simple firmware upgrade would fix it, as it's probably a HDCP/HDMI sync issue.

I've tried switching HDMI inputs and changing the order of switch-on but haven't found a way to cure it yet.

I've been playing with the Denon Remote app on my ipad which is cool, (if a little ugly as it's an iphone/ipod app) and I do like Airplay as well, so I may hold on to the 1912, as long as Denon fix the 'no-sound' bug.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the new Denon AVR 1912 yet. We've just hooked one up in our demo room but I'm interested in anyone else's opinions.

I have had mine for about 2 weeks. Sound is great and I like many of the features but I have run into some issues and I'm not yet sure if it is a user problem or a bug.

1. I use Apple TV for Internet Radio and Netflix movies. When I try to use Apple TV for radio, find my station, and just want to listen for a few hours there is no need to have the TV on but when I turn the TV off the sound stops. Apple TV unit is still on and the Denon is still on the correct source select but no sound. I've tried several HDMI input slots (V.Aux, Game 1, DVD) but same result.

2. Also with Apple TV sometimes it just doesn't play audio. In order to make it work I usually have to shut everything off and start over including selecting another radio station.

Weird!

I went ahead and purchased the 1912 last weekend in preparation for the addition to my setup which arrived a couple of days ago. The current set up I'm running is:

2x Kef IQ50s
Kef IQ60c
Along with my new AVR-1912

I previously had a Denon RCD-M38DAB Hi-Fi amp which I thought was a great little amp to get me started, however with just 30W output and not having the ability to accommodate my new IQ60c I upgraded.
I'm not much of an expert, but overall I think it sounds great. The usability did take a bit of getting used to, as the 1912 can practically run everything from one remote, but I am starting to get my head around it.
I tried out the microphone tuning via audyssey which I was very impressed with.
The only real downside to the Amp is the time that it takes to load up. I'm currently without a router and am just using an apple airport express as my wi-fi solution. The airport express only has one Ethernet port so I cannot connect the Denon to the internet. Whenever you perform a restart and choose to play your Ipod it attempts to connect to the Internet which takes a good few seconds to try, and fail.
The other main issue I now have is I must my TV to get the most from the amp as my ancient Sony Trinitron is not compatible. Is there a way I can get around this?

Hi,

I bought a Denon 1912 recently and I have a very strange issue when using AirPlay. After getting out of stand-by, any iOS device or iTunes cannot connect to Denon. It appears as an AirPlay enabled system but when choosing it for playing from iOS it looks like is playing (the iOS shows the music streaming) but Denon is not switching to the AirPlay source and obvious no sound. iTunes is behaving like it cannot connect to Denon. If switching manually to NET/USB source the screen is shown in strange background (either green, red or pink).

After several restarts (powering off) or sometimes changing IP a dress it goes back working and sometimes with the right black background.

Does anyone experienced such behavior? To me it looks more like a software issue but I did not see anyone else complaining about this, therefore I am thinking that perhaps is something wrong with my unit and I shall ask for Denon support. Any advice please?

Thank you.

Excuse me for asking what will probably sound a real dumb question.

If I connect an AVR-1912 to my home network with ethernet cable will the receiver act as a router and pass on a connection to my LG tv (LW550t) via an hdmi 1.4 cable? It would be great to only have 3 cables going to the TV rather than the current 5 (power, network, Optical, hdmi and aerial).

I've had this receiver for about 2 months now and love it.
Great sound and great picture!
With Airplay my Iphone and Ipads would lose the airplay icon all the time. I found it was due to QOS (quality of service) function in my router, it didn't play well with it. I turned the feature off and it's pretty awesome. My one request from Apple/Denon is that the second zone shows up on the icon. You can send airplay to the second zone but you need to install the App, and then switch zone 2 to network and then use airplay. The other issue is in the last month I have had 4 firmware updates and I have no idea what they do. Does anyone know of a Denon firmware change log? So far impressed and looking forward to a possibility of a firmware to stream video….

To the above poster, I am 99% sure it will not work. Ethernet via HDMI is something advertised on cables however very little supports it now.

Last edited:
Any experiences with video playback most reviews seem to focus on audio which in comparison to the Onkyo 609 appears to be superior but I have heard a few bad comments on the 1912's video quality including things like blurring.

Annoying really when most people who have the Onkyo say video quality is superb, I dont whether the Denon 2312 would be better as it has a dedicated video processing chip.

Strange... Mine never did any firmware upgrade... I tried but always is reporting like having the latest one...

The only real downside to the Amp is the time that it takes to load up. I'm currently without a router and am just using an apple airport express as my wi-fi solution. The airport express only has one Ethernet port so I cannot connect the Denon to the internet. Whenever you perform a restart and choose to play your Ipod it attempts to connect to the Internet which takes a good few seconds to try, and fail.
Hi, I don't understand your issue. I've used the Airport express as well and it works fine (Airport express with WiFi connection to WiFi modem/router and 1912 connected to Airport express by ethernet).
Do you have another configuration?

To all whom are experiencing no sound problems,

When I just had the 1912, I was having similar problems (video but no sound). After spending a few hours I solved it and it never came back.
In my case it had to to with my HDMI control set up. When I switched HDMI control to 'off' it did not occur anymore. I think it is silly, but since I think the AVR is the backbone of an installation, I rather not have other equipment switching it off (the other way round is OK for me) and putting it to 'off' is OK with me.
I had another issue which is specific to my set up. I have an DBP-4010 and it has denon link capabilities. It was set to denon link on and that also prevented sound (since the 1912 has no denon link).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom