DENON AVR1909 Audyssey EQ problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mfife, Jun 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi all, I have a Denon AVR 1909, and I’m quite happy with it overall, but I recently discovered what may be a fault with my particular unit, or it may be a more general flaw with the product.
    Having recently got a new sub, I finally got round to running the Audyssey auto setup. It did a fairly good job, but whenever it engages EQ mode the circuitry introduces quite a lot of hiss, which becomes very noticeable at higher volume levels. With the EQ off, there is no hiss whatsoever and I get an excellent S/N ratio (+100db). Any other AVR1909 owners notice this, or is it just me?:confused:

2. zzoli

zzoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I did not notice hissing on mine, but I listen to music at moderate levels. In my room -30 is more than I feel comfortable. I always use Dynamic EQ (red light on the right side of the display) and this would made a hiss stronger because of the emphasized highs.

When I did the measurements I tried to remain inside the front speakers with the mike - if you go too far to the sides the mike will pick up less highs so it will boost the highs to get flat response.

You can check the rough estimation of the Audyssey EQ settings in the Auto Setup menu Parameter Check, EQ check entry. Look at the Audyssey and the Adyssey Flat graphs.
    If you see there boosted highs (well above the 0 line), maybe that is causing the hiss.

Or simply you have very good hearing...

3. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the reply zzoli. When I did the measurement (in two locations, fairly close to each other) the mike was well inside the 2 fronts.
    Depending on the time of day I do like listening at levels above -30db, whereupon the hiss becomes quite audible. Try it without any music playing from your source: at levels of -35db and above, alternate between EQ on and off and see if you can hear it. (I'm basically trying to determine if my unit is faulty).
    The high frequency levels are set a fair bit above zero, but then I get the same hiss in "flat" mode, and it only goes away when EQ is off, so I suspect crappy electronics and circuitry on the part of Audyssey (or Denon)...

4. zzoli

zzoli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I tried it.
    Switched to the DVD input (no signal on the HDMI input!) and played with the volume knob.
    At 0 there is noticable hiss - no matter if in pure direct, direct, Audyssey flat, Dynamic EQ on/off. Turning up to +18 the hiss is stronger (of course). On the listening place I start hearing hiss at around -15 with Audyssey Flat and Dynamic Eq on. Mind you, I'm 46 and my hearing is not what it used to be.
    Turning on and off the various EQs the hiss is softer or louder, but always noticable.
    BUT:
    As I said earlier: with music (either classical or pop/rock, from sacd/cd/mp3, streaming audio from my ps3 or from the radio) in my room (6.7 meters long and 4.3 meters wide) with my speakers (+9.5, +8.5, + 11.5 db trims for the left, center, right speakers - so they are not that efficient) I do not hear any hissing at -30, which is loud enough for my taste. Going up to -20 or -10 just blows my head off and is deafening. But this is me, other guys have different tastes, needs.

It very well may be that the DSP parts and amplifier stages in this receiver are not the best quality, but in my home this is no problem.

Of course, YMMV.

If you don't hear it when listening to programme material, don't worry about it. But if you do hear it, this otherwise very good receiver does not fit your needs. Perhaps you need to step up to higher priced models?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  5. mfife

mfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Z,

from my listening pos. I can hear hiss from -37db onwards, as most of the hiss appears to come from the rears, which are closer than the fronts in that pos. I think I'll just have to do without EQ tbh. It sounds pretty good without it anyway!