1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR1905, Totally confudled!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tigermad, Jun 13, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    I have just upgraded from a Sony STR DB925 amp to a Denon AVR1905.

After getting hubby to set it up (I know sweet FAabout cabling) I spent a while reading the manual and playing with the settings.

My first disappointment. No blue light in Dolby Digital mode :rolleyes:

Ok not the end of the world.

I am totally confused about Prologic II. On my SOny When I watched anything on sky plus that wasnt being broadcast in DD it would just say stereo on my amp and come through 2 speakers only.
    On my new amp all the channels on sky apart from the DD ones come through as PLII C. They all come through the front and back speakers .

Is this the standard for this amp?

I have read the manual re PLII but its all double dutch to me.
    What does Matrix, Non matrix etc mean.

1 more comment is that the manual seems to badly translated and the english is terrible.

I also didnt realise that you cannot use the OSD in component mode :mad:

2. FeisalK

FeisalK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ProLogic II (and IIx) is designed to give you 6 (and 7) channels of audio from stereo sources. On most equipment nowadays they also work on 5.1 DD sources, and they do this by some spiffy guesswork (ok, calculations) from what is going on in the rear L/R, extracting information and putting it in the surround back channel.

This re-created surround back channel is called a matrixed channel as opposed to discrete channels with actual information sent to them

IMO ProLogic II does what it's supposed to do quite well (compared to plain old pro-logic) and the surround from stereo is quite believable even with music.

hope this helps

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    also on your old amp when it detected stereo, there was probably a pro logic button allowing you to do the same thing as the denon manually, likewise there is probably a stereo button on the denon, but pro logic II is desgined to do what its doing, so yes it is normal.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It depends on the brand. Denon receivers will default to PL2 whilst your old Sony (and my Marantz) default to stereo. The Denon should remember what mode you were last using for each input though. :)

5. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Thanks guys, I had a play last bight and I am understanding better now.

I have plugged the dvd through the ext in so I can have true 5.1. I used to do this on my Sony. The question is, because none of the settings can be altered in this mode, speaker levels etc, does that mean if I select on the DVD menu to play something in DTS it will only play in DD5.1?

Sorry if I sound thick but I want to know the best way.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    You don't need to do this on the Denon (unless you are using DVD Audio or SACD discs and want full resolution playback). Just connect either the Digital Coaxial or Optical cable from your DVD player to the Denon and let that do the decoding. You then select whichever track you want to listen to on the disc's audio options although not all will have DTS tracks. Leave the Denon set to AUTO and it will lock on and decode whatever signal is sent to it. :)