1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AVR1905 just went pop - Help!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ian Vinten, Aug 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ian Vinten

Ian Vinten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got a bit of a problem with my amp - I've just seen it catch fire.

I've spent the evening attaching my new speaker cable and banana plugs and at first everything seemed fine. Watched a bit of TV, played about 30 minutes of XBox and all played fine. I was then playing an MP3 through my PC (Nick Cave if anyone's interested :)) and, again, it played it fine - right until the very end when I heard a loud pop from the speakers.

Looked over at the amp and the red light around the power button was flashing. Had a look at the connections and everything seemed fine so I turned the amp back on when this time the amp went pop and you could see something burning inside. This only lasted a second but you could smell it afterwards.

I can't see what I would have done wrong wiring up the new cable, it's plenty big enough for my set up and whilst I've never used banana plugs before, they don't exactly seem like rocket science. But then again, it seems a bit funny to be just a coincidence.

So, what do I do now? Will this be covered at all in any warranty? Is there any chance I could have knackered my speakers as well?

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Sounds like something has shorted out inside. It may have been the result of you making connections on the back i.e. pushing in the banana plugs could have dislodged the board they're attached to.
    I have previously caused an amp to shut down by accidentally shorting the speaker connections with a stray wire. As you're using plugs this is less likely but I assume you were removing bare wire so you might have left a small thread of wire in the connectors.

If I were you I would check the speaker connections very carefully for stray wire - if you find some then you will have to make your own choice about what you say to the dealer. If not then it's gone pop under warranty and should be repaired free of charge IMHO.

3. Ian Vinten

Ian Vinten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I should be checking for wire connecting the red and the black on each channel?

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    Yup! or any other stray wire.

5. steptoe

steptoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    hi
    my sherwood packed up so i=
    got another pop
    got a yamaha pop
    got a sherwood pop
    had the dvd ps2 speakers sub checked all ok
    no reason only thing it might have been was speaker wire so replaced speaker wire sherwood out of box replacement worked ok for a 13 months pre out has now gone so no sub also telly went pop last week maybe its modern day electronics saving pennies for new amp or fix good luck with the warranty
    and a big thanks to the guys from richer sounds who let me blow three amps and replaced them everytime no quibble

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yup, have a look for stray bits of wire; could be something internal blowing as well, though. If it's something you did (e.g. shorting the speaker outputs with stray bits of wire) this is unlikely to be covered under warranty, although you could either try asking the dealer nicely or forget to mention this ;)

Anyway, if it's something internal blown/not your fault then that should be covered under warranty :) Even if putting in banana plugs made it go, an amp should be designed to take such plugs without blowing...

btw, the nick cave you were playing - not 'babe I'm on fire' by any chance :D

Jon