Denon AVR1713 & PS3 Surround Sound Set up

doppers

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After much deliberating i have gone ahead and purchased the Denon 1713 to replace my HK AVR155. I was very happy with the HK but decided i wanted to upgrade for the wireless capabilities of the 1713. I will be connecting my Sky HD & PS3 to the amp and then the Amp to the TV, all via HDMI.

I now know that the Sky will require the optical lead i was using already on the HK for DD sound but i was wondering if anyone could confirm that the DTS/DD encoding will pass through the HDMI connection as i was previously using the Optical cable but now realise that i was not benefiting from true DD HD sound using the optical connection. I notice that the Denon only has 1 optical so before i get excited about my order and open the box i wanted to know where i stand?

On a side note do people notice the difference between DD and DDHD sound?

Thanks

The PS3 (slim) will bitstream all audio formats via HDMI. The older fat model will not bitstream HD formats, but will output HD LPCM. Audio associated with games is always output as LPCM regardless of what it is actually encoded as. This is because the PS3 needs to add button sounds to the audio associated with games prior to outputting it.

You should set the PS3's BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting to BITSTREAM if you've the PS3 slim or set it to LPCM if you've an older fat model.

Last edited:
That is why i love this site........the response times and knowledge!!!!

@dante01.....thanks, I do have the slim so will it encode correctly for Blu Rays??

@dante01.....thanks, I do have the slim so will it encode correctly for Blu Rays??

Yes.

Connect your PS3 up to the receiver via HDMI and then your receiver to your display via HDMI. With all three devices powered up, run the PS3's auto audio configurations routine, selecting HDMI as the desired audio output. After this is complete then set the PS3's BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting to BITSTREAM.

@Dante01......Thanks

Also on the side note, would i notice the differnce in sound quality?

@Dante01......Thanks

Also on the side note, would i notice the differnce in sound quality?

You should hear a difference, but it will not be significant. The speakers you are using will also have an influence upon the results. The wider dynamics and increased fidelity need good quality speakers to best take advantage of HD audio, but you should be able to pick up greater detail if you listen out for it.

Ok.... I now have the amp! And so far so good......except i cannot get DTS or DD for any of the PS3 games. I have changed the settings as above and it works on Blu ray movies but i'm not getting this on any games......any suggestions please?

Ok.... I now have the amp! And so far so good......except i cannot get DTS or DD for any of the PS3 games. I have changed the settings as above and it works on Blu ray movies but i'm not getting this on any games......any suggestions please?

I already explained this earlier:

Audio associated with games is always output as LPCM regardless of what it is actually encoded as. This is because the PS3 needs to add button sounds to the audio associated with games prior to outputting it.

You are getting the Dolby Digital audio, it is just that the PS3 needs to decode it first before it can mix in the button sounds. It then output the audio as LPCM.

Ok thanks for this again. .....I didn't pay attention to your response closely enough!
So the multi out is still giving dolby then ?

Ok thanks for this again. .....I didn't pay attention to your response closely enough!
So the multi out is still giving dolby then ?

Yeah, it is just a matter of the PS3 doing the decoding for games audio rather than the receiver. If you bitstream audio to an AV receiver then the receiver decodeds it into PCM so that the PCM can be processed by the receiver's DACs. It is just that you are unaware of this occurring in the background when bitstreaming and only see the actual bitstreamed format type displayed on the front panel. Almost without exception, all digital audio formats need to be decoded to their original uncompressed PCM prior to the DAC. DTS, Dolby Digital and their HD derrivatives are all compressed forms of PCM.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom