1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon avr1705 2 video output advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by donkeymagic, Aug 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just purchased a projector (benq pe5120) I am now thinking of buying the denon avr1705. The problem is I am very confused on how I can easily switch between video sources.

The kit I have is Philips 32" TV, Benq PJ, Sky, Xbox and Sony all in one HT.

The PJ will be connected via component as will the xbox. Everything else will probably be s-video. Will I be able to switch video sources, ie watch sky on PJ or xbox on TV? Will it convert the s-video signal and output to PJ via the component out?

I may be being rather dumb but any advice would be appreciated.

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
  3. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    AMc is right - you need at least the AVR-2805 (if set on Denon) for component video up-conversion.

Very annoyingly, all the US versions of the new xx06 models (except the entry level 1506) have this, yet for us in the UK, we'll still need at least the 2806 :mad:

4. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bu**er!

Is there any sub £200 amp capable of this 'up converting'?

PS-thanks for the advice.

5. pingu

pingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    donkeymagic,

Hmm, I think < £200 is pushing it. The cheapest I know of is the Yamaha RX-V557 which you can find for about £240 online.

Also bare in mind that virtually all these up-converting amps just pass the component signals straight through; they don't down-convert them to S-video or composite. The flow looks like:

composite <---> s-video ---> component

So in your setup, with the xbox connected via component, you'll only be able to display it on your projector..... unless..... your xbox AV lead also has an s-video / composite jack (like the official HD one coming out for the xbox360). If so, then you can connect that as well as the component and it'll be routed out of the s-video "monitor out" to your TV :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    pingu

6. donkeymagic

donkeymagic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pingu.

I never imagined it would be this difficult to output everything to the PJ and TV.(lol)

7. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
    I'm lucky in that my PC will accept RGB SCART(+synch on composite). I feed all my video inputs into a B-Tech Qunitro+ which can provide 2 RGB outputs - one to the TV and one to the PJ. A bit of careful input selection on the amp and some macros on my Pronto mean it all 'just works' 99% of the time.
    BUT the Quintro+ cost a third of what you're looking to spend on an amp. If I were you I would look at a WTD ad in the classifieds here to see if someone has upgraded an amp with the upconversion you need.

8. monkeyspank

monkeyspank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could you connect the amp to the PJ with an s-video cable as well?